Strange error message when attempting to show graph

Feb 13, 2010 at 2:36 AM

I have loaded my data for social networking Facebook analysis but I get this message. I know I downloaded it correctly, unzipped, etc. Originally I got the message that a previous discussion mentioned "you can edit and save this data but something ......" I can reopen it just fine, but the show graph or graph in general never shows up! I need this for a project for school! PLease help. Thanks!

This is the message I get now.

Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Root element is missing.

Feb 13, 2010 at 5:20 PM
Edited Feb 13, 2010 at 5:59 PM

The "Uncaught exception thrown by method called through Reflection" error referred to in the other discussion occurs when you have something called ".NET Programmability Support" disabled.  It is normally enabled when Office 2007 is installed, but if you disable it when you install Office 2007, you will get this error when you attempt to use the NodeXL template.

To enable .NET Programmability Support, do this:

* Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs (Windows XP) or Programs and Features (Vista, Windows 7).

* Select Microsoft Office.  The exact name will vary with the Office version you have ; it might be Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007, for example.

* Select Change.

* In the Office setup wizard, select Add or Remove Features and click Continue.

* Expand Microsoft Office, Microsoft Office Excel.

* For .NET Programmability Support, select Run from My Computer.

* Click Continue.

When the Office setup wizard completes (it takes a while), you should be able to use the NodeXL template.

-- Tony