Does nodexl work with postgresql database?

Feb 8, 2010 at 3:41 AM

Hi all,

I just got a demonstration in the university tommorow. I am wondering if I can directly import data from my postgresql database using nodexl. If not, is there any other alternative?

Thanks,

Eric

Coordinator
Feb 8, 2010 at 4:00 AM

If you can emit an edge list in CSV from your database you can import that into NodeXL.

If you want to integrate into the Data Import menu of NodeXL see: For Programmers: About NodeXL Plug-Ins

-

Marc

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:11 AM

Also, Excel can import directly from a wide variety of databases (see Data, Get External Data, From Other Sources).  If you set up an ODBC driver for Postgresql (see http://psqlodbc.projects.postgresql.org/), Excel will be able to read data from your database.

-- Tony

Feb 8, 2010 at 6:20 AM
Thank you Tony. Yes. I tried to import it from odbc. But in nodexl, I could not do that at line 3. And the result from odbc cannot be recognized by nodexl.

----- Original Message -----
To: [email removed]
Sent: Monday, February 8, 2010 5:11:20 PM GMT +12:00 New Zealand
Subject: Re: Does nodexl work with postgresql database? [NodeXL:83452]

Also, Excel can import directly from a wide variety of databases (see Data, Get External Data, From Other Sources). If you set up an ODBC driver for Postgresql (see http://psqlodbc.projects.postgresql.org/ ), Excel will be able to read data from your database.

-- Tony

Read the full discussion online .

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email ( [email removed] )

To start a new discussion for this project, email [email removed]

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com
Feb 8, 2010 at 6:28 AM

Don't try to import directly into the NodeXL workbook.  Instead, import into a standard Excel workbook, then use NodeXL's Data, Import, From Open Edge Workbook feature to transfer the edge data from the standard Excel workbook to the NodeXL workbook.

That involves two steps.  If you want to reduce it to one step, you can create a custom NodeXL plug-in, as Marc indicated above.  However, that involves writing .NET code to get data from your database and convert it to the GraphML format that NodeXL can import.  If you don't want to do any programming, the two-step process is the way to go.

-- Tony

Feb 8, 2010 at 6:48 AM
Thank you for your reply Tony. I was just doing the two-step process. But when the data in the open edge workbook changes, I cannot see the changes in the Nodexl workbook even if I refresh it.
One more thing is when I try to import the open edge workbook, it also comes with a line of heading which is regarded as normal nodes in Nodexl.
Thank you again.

Sent: Monday, February 8, 2010 7:28:20 PM GMT +12:00 New Zealand

Don't try to import directly into the NodeXL workbook. Instead, import into a standard Excel workbook, then use NodeXL's Data, Import, From Open Edge Workbook feature to transfer the edge data from the standard Excel workbook to the NodeXL workbook.

That involves two steps. If you want to reduce it to one step, you can create a custom NodeXL plug-in, as Marc indicated above. However, that involves writing .NET code to get data from your database and convert it to the GraphML format that NodeXL can import. If you don't want to do any programming, the two-step process is the way to go.

-- Tony

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com
Feb 8, 2010 at 5:06 PM

The Import from Open Edge Workbook feature takes a "snapshot" of the edge workbook.  If the edge workbook changes, the NodeXL workbook will not change unless you run Import from Open Edge Workbook again.  I don't know of any way to get the NodeXL workbook to change automatically except by writing a bunch of VBA or C# code.

If the open edge workbook has column headers, check "Columns have headers" in the Import from Open Edge Workbook dialog box.  That will stop NodeXL from thinking that the column header row is a data row.

-- Tony

Feb 8, 2010 at 10:36 PM
Thank you Tony.
Sent: Tuesday, February 9, 2010 6:07:11 AM GMT +12:00 New Zealand

The Import from Open Edge Workbook feature takes a "snapshot" of the edge workbook. If the edge workbook changes, the NodeXL workbook will not change unless you run Import from Open Edge Workbook again. I don't know of any way to get the NodeXL workbook to change automatically except by writing a bunch of VBA or C# code.

If the open edge workbook has column headers, check "Columns have headers" in the Import from Open Edge Workbook dialog box. That will stop NodeXL from thinking that the column header row is a data row.

-- Tony