Node XL edge pattern changes

Jan 20, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Hi,
Warning: I am new to NodeXL.

I figured out a way to change the edge weight but I was wondering if there is a way to change the edge patterns to dotted, double line etc? I know it could look messy but we might have potential use for that in our maps.

Thanks,
Shruti
IBM

Jan 20, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Shruti:

I'm afraid we don't support different edge styles.  I assume you are using our NodeXLControl as opposed to the Excel Template.  If so, you could download the source code for it and modify the EdgeDrawer class to allow for multiple edge styles, but that's not available out of the box.

-- Tony

Jan 21, 2010 at 2:48 PM
Edited Jan 21, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Hi Tony,

I am not sure what the difference between NodeXLControl and Excel Template is. I am using NodeXL in Excel... Can I still modify the class?

Also, Can I add labels to the edge?

Thanks,

Regards,

Shruti

Jan 21, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Shruti:

The easy question first:  To add labels to the edges, go to NodeXL, Show/Hide, Workbook Columns in the Excel ribbon and check Labels.  This will reveal a Labels column in the Edges worksheet.

On the edge style question, I misunderstood: I thought you were writing your own application using our NodeXLControl.  If you wanted to add edge styles to the Excel template, which uses the NodeXLControl to display the graph in the graph pane, you would have to do the following:

1. Modify the EdgeDrawer class to support different edge styles, based on the presence of a new metadata value on the edges.

2. Add a Style column to the Edges worksheet on the NodeXLGraph.xltx template.

3. Modify the EdgeWorksheetReader class to read the Style column and set the appropriate metadata on each edge as it is read.

-- Tony

Jan 21, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Thanks for your quick response, Tony. The Edge label worked.

Regarding the edge pattern I need Visual Studio to build the code. I don't have that so I am hoping you can take this as a requirement for one of your next versions..

All your help is much appreciated.

Regards,
Shruti