edge weights from correlation coefficients

Jan 19, 2010 at 5:41 PM

I'm new to NodeXL.  Thank you for all of the work building and sharing this tool.

I have a matrix in which the cell values are correlation coefficients and the rows and columns headings are my desired network vertices.  I'd like to use the correlation values in lieu of "instance" based edge weights to define my network pattern.  My correlation values range from 0.05 to.99.  At present, the matrix is in a simple Excel table.  I've attempted to import the table via the "Import from Open Matrix Workbook" command, but I have been unsuccessful (I receive an error indicating that no open matrix workbooks can be found).

Could someone kindly advise me of the best pathway to get my data imported and, if relevant, point out any problems or complications associated with using correlation coefficients as the basis for edge weights?

Many thanks!

Jan 19, 2010 at 6:32 PM

To import your simple Excel table, you must first open it in Excel.  If it is open in Excel, then it should show up in the list of workbooks when you select NodeXL, Data, Import, From Open Matrix Workbook in the NodeXL template.  Is that not happening?

(I can't comment on the correlation coefficient issue; perhaps someone else can.)

-- Tony