VSTO issues with different drive letter

Nov 19, 2009 at 5:23 PM

Hello,

First of all, I would like to apologize ahead of time if this isn't the place to post the problem I am having.  I have an user that has 2 computers that has NodeXL installed - 1 computer has %HOMEDRIVE%=C: (PC-C) and 1 computer has %HOMEDRIVE%=U: (PC-U).  Now when she creates a graph using PC-U, she is not able to open the file on PC-C and vice versa.  Sample error is below:

Name:
From: file:///U:/Program Files/Microsoft Research/Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template/Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto

Downloading file:///U:/Program Files/Microsoft Research/Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template/Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto did not succeed.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentDownloadException: Downloading file:///U:/Program Files/Microsoft Research/Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template/Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto did not 
succeed. ---> System.Net.WebException: Could not find a part of the path 'U:\Program Files\Microsoft Research\Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template\Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto'. ---> System.Net.WebException: Could
not find a part of the path 'U:\Program Files\Microsoft Research\Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template\Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto'. ---> System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of
the path 'U:\Program Files\Microsoft Research\Microsoft NodeXL Excel Template\Microsoft.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto'. at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath) at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy) at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy) at System.Net.FileWebStream..ctor(FileWebRequest request, String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare sharing, Int32 length, Boolean async) at System.Net.FileWebResponse..ctor(FileWebRequest request, Uri uri, FileAccess access, Boolean asyncHint) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Net.FileWebResponse..ctor(FileWebRequest request, Uri uri, FileAccess access, Boolean asyncHint) at System.Net.FileWebRequest.GetResponseCallback(Object state) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Net.FileWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult) at System.Net.FileWebRequest.GetResponse() at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.GetManifests(TimeSpan timeout) at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.InstallAddIn()

The error is the exact same error if you create a graph using PC-C and tries to open it on PC-U, but the path in the error will say C: instead of U:.  The file opens fine when the computer she is using has the same drive letter as the one she created the graph with. 

Is there something I can do to remedy this issue?  We not allow to change %HOMEDRIVE% on any of the computers.

Nov 20, 2009 at 3:21 PM

Yes, this is the right place for NodeXL problems and questions!

This is a known bug in NodeXL's setup program.  It arises when you attempt to open a NodeXL workbook that was created with another machine on which NodeXL was installed into a different folder.  To work around it, use NodeXL, Data, Import, Convert Old Workbook to open the workbook that was created on the other machine.  Convert Old Workbook exists for a different reason, but it also happens to fix the problem you've run into.

I realize this is a real nuisance.  It's near the top of our bug list and I hope to be able to fix it sometime soon.

-- Tony

Nov 20, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Thanks alot it works!  I'll let the user know.