Graph metrics don't calculate

Sep 29, 2009 at 11:49 PM

Hi there,

I'm using NodeXL on Windows Vista and Excel 2007 and when I choose "Graph Metrics," select In-degree and Out-degree, then click Compute Metrics, I don't get any results in the In-degree or Out-degree columns.  Has anyone seen this before?  Do you know what the problem is?  Thanks,

Adam

Sep 30, 2009 at 12:10 AM

Your graph is marked as undirected, for which in-degree and out-degree are not defined and therefore not calculated.  In the Excel ribbon, go to NodeXL, Graph, and set the Type to Directed.  Now when you calculate graph metrics, the in-degree and out-degree will be calculated.

-- Tony

Sep 30, 2009 at 12:56 AM

Tony, thanks for the quick reply.  I did this on a student's computer.  We created the data set using Import from Email.  It creates the data set as Directed, but for some reason he's telling me that if he selects In-degree, Out-degree as well as Degree, it successfully creates In-degree and Out-degree data (but not degree, since the graph is directed), but if he omits degree from the Compute Metrics command, it doesn't.  Sounds like you're barking up the right tree with the directed/undirected issue, but do you have any idea why this might be happening?  Bear in mind that this is my student's account of the story, I didn't see it with my own eyes.  Thanks,

Adam

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:32 AM

Adam:

I can't duplicate that behavior.  When I do this:

1. Import From Email Network

2. Graph Metrics, check In-Degree and Out-Degree, but not Degree

3. Click Compute Metrics

... then NodeXL computes In-Degree and Out-Degree (but not Degree), as expected.

Given that this is a second-hand report, and that others haven't reported a problem in this area, my guess is that something was lost in the translation.  If you see erroneous behavior yourself, please let me know.

-- Tony

Oct 7, 2009 at 3:23 PM
You're right, it must have been user error.  No other student (or I) had that issue.  Thanks again,

All the best,
Adam