Grid layout sorting

Sep 24, 2009 at 6:05 PM

Hi guys, 

Just wondering - I am convinced that at one point Grid Layout used the sort order in the table for the order in the graph. But it doesn't seem to be the case in .93. Was I dreaming, is it broken, or did I miss a specific feature? 

[Also interested in learning about other layouts on the horizon. Is there any motivation for bin packing? (available in guess, takes stray isolates and lines them up on the side of the big components) ] 

Take care,

BERNiE 

Sep 24, 2009 at 7:11 PM

Bernie:

The feature you remember is still there, but hidden by default.  In the Excel ribbon, select NodeXL, Show/Hide, Workbook Columns, and check "Layout."  This will show the Layout Order column on the Vertices worksheet, which will allow you to specify the vertex order in the Grid layout.

We have no definite plans for additional layouts, but I've added your post to our feature request list.

Thanks,
    Tony

Coordinator
Sep 24, 2009 at 7:29 PM

Here is a screenshot of the feature with the explanatory tooltip.

-

Marc

Sep 25, 2009 at 12:19 AM
Thanks Tony,

It's looking great by the way. I am planning on writing a little chapter for marc on the use of node xl for ego nets. Really impressed with the tool.

Hope the segway is still treating you well :)

Take care
BERNiE

On 2009-09-24, at 7:11 PM, tcap479 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Bernie:

The feature you remember is still there, but hidden by default. In the Excel ribbon, select NodeXL, Show/Hide, Workbook Columns, and check "Layout." This will show the Layout Order column on the Vertices worksheet, which will allow you to specify the vertex order in the Grid layout.

We have no definite plans for additional layouts, but I've added your post to our feature request list.

Thanks,
Tony

Sep 25, 2009 at 1:25 AM
Lol. Somehow, I assumed that a message addressed solely to Tony would be sent solely to Tony. So indeed, great tool, I'm looking forward to using it on Facebook networks, and Tony had a segway at one point as far as I know.

Anyways, my apologies, I'll be more careful in the future.

Take care
BERNiE

On 2009-09-25, at 12:19 AM, Blurky <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Thanks Tony,

It's looking great by the way. I am planning on writing a little chapter for marc on the use of node xl for ego nets. Really impressed with the tool.

Hope the segway is still treating you well :)

Take care
BERNiE

On 2009-09-24, at 7:11 PM, tcap479 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Bernie:

The feature you remember is still there, but hidden by default. In the Excel ribbon, select NodeXL, Show/Hide, Workbook Columns, and check "Layout." This will show the Layout Order column on the Vertices worksheet, which will allow you to specify the vertex order in the Grid layout.

Thanks,
Tony

Sep 25, 2009 at 5:22 AM

Quite all right, Bernie.  It was good to hear from you, and I'm glad that you've found NodeXL to be useful.

-- Tony