Importing text files into NodeXl and creating two-mode networks using NodeXL

Aug 7 at 5:13 PM
I have email data saved as text files. Could you please let me know if it is possible to import the data directly into the NodeXL. Also, I would like to create two-mode networks based on email address and content using NodeXl. I would greatly appreciate your suggestions. Best regards, Suchismita
Coordinator
Aug 8 at 2:02 AM
Hello!

Thank you for the interest in NodeXL!

Yes, NodeXL can import data from a range of sources.

The simplest format is the "Edge List" which takes the form:

Vertex 1, Vertex 2

This can be made more elaborate:

Vertex 1, Vertex 2, Relationship type, Vertex 1 attribute(s), Vertex 2 attribute(s)

In addition, yes, the nodes or vertices in an edge in NodeXL do not need to be of the same type.

You can encode this by including a column like: "Vertex 1 Type", and "Vertex 2 Type"

For example, if the network was made out of documents and the people who edited them, a row of the edge list might look like:

Username, Document Name, Edits, User, Document

Regards,

Marc
Marked as answer by MarcSmith on 8/7/2016 at 6:02 PM
Aug 9 at 3:13 AM
Hi Marc,

Thank you very much for your response. I have another question. Could you please tell me the steps of how to make two-mode networks in NodeXL with an example.
Best regards,
Suchismita
Coordinator
Aug 10 at 2:48 AM
Hello!

In a two mode network, the Vertex 1 Type and Vertex 2 Type are simply different.

Consider a network of Students and Teachers:
Vertex 1, Vertex 2, Relationship type, Vertex 1 attribute(s), Vertex 2 attribute(s)
Bob, Sally, Teaches, Teacher, Student
Alice, Edward, Teaches, Teacher, Student