Twitter User Network Question

Jun 14 at 10:25 PM
Hi all,

I've been playing around for a couple of weeks with importing Twitter User Networks in NodeXL.

Basically what I'm aiming to do is to import 10+ accounts & their followers, and see if these main accounts have any followers in common.

To do this I've been importing using "basic network plus friends and followers" and "Import only the Twitter users I'm interested in" checked.

I've followed several tutorials and downloaded templates from the NodeXL gallery, but none have got me closer to my goal of mapping out common followers.

Anyone kind enough to provide some steps to achieve this?

I understand this is well within NodeXL's depth, I'm just having a bit of trouble getting there - any help would be much appreciated.

Best,

GE
Coordinator
Jun 18 at 7:07 PM
Hello!

Thank you for the interest in NodeXL!

You ask how to get the Twitter follower network among a group of people.

First, it is important to understand the limits imposed by the Twitter API: no more than 2000 followers (the most recent) are returned for each user and the rate of access to this data is significantly slowed by the API so it can take hours to get what limited data Twitter will provide about Follower connections.

See:
http://www.connectedaction.net/over-the-edge-twitter-api-1-1-makes-follows-edges-hard-to-get/

NodeXL Pro does have an Import from Twitter Users Network feature (which you are using):

But this is set differently from the settings you describe.

"importing using "basic network plus friends and followers" and "Import only the Twitter users I'm interested in" checked."

I suggest unchecking the "Import only the Twitter users I'm interested in" setting. When this is selected, only the people in the name list will be returned in the results.

Regards,

Marc
Marked as answer by MarcSmith on 7/5/2016 at 7:04 PM