Commercial Sources

May 9 at 11:06 PM
Hi there,

I have been searching through the discussions for information on how to search for twitter data older than a week. I understand that the standard REST API for Twitter limits searches to a week, and that Commercial offerings (GNIP etc.) are required for searching further back.

My question is this: Does Node XL support any of these sources? I'd like to know what my options are before I look into a trial / subscription to any of these services.

Cheers,
Kev.
Coordinator
May 31 at 6:57 PM
Hello!

Thank you for the interest in NodeXL!

As you note, NodeXL can directly access several social media platform's public APIs.

In many cases these APIs place constraints on the data available.

Commercial alternatives offer a way around these constraints, but often at a significant price.

For those who have access to these services, data is often available for long periods of time.

Most of these services can export some form of spreadsheet or CSV file that contains these messages.

These files can be converted to the NodeXL import format.

We currently have a set of command line tools we use internally to convert these files.

We do plan that these tools will make it into NodeXL in the future, but they are not ready for end users yet.

One issue is that each service emits data in a somewhat different format and we will need to adapt to each specifically.

If you do have data sets that need conversion let us know - we can sometimes assist.

Regards,

Marc
Marked as answer by MarcSmith on 7/5/2016 at 7:07 PM