CPU memory problem

Dec 9, 2015 at 2:09 PM
I'm running in a strange problem and need your help: Not enough memory

I have Windows 7, Office 64-bit and 16GB RAM memory.

I'm trying to run 167k teeets under Harel-Koren Fast Multiscale, and NodeXL refuses to do it saying that I don't have enough memory.

If I run other algorithms like Fluchterman-Reingold, Circle or Sugiyama it works fine (takes around one to two hours to run). However, I need to run Harel.

I started monitoring the problem through Windows Task Manager. Excel uses only 2,078 GB in regular use, but when I start possessing the Harel it goes up to 5GB of memory usage. OK, no problem I have more 11 GB to spare on it.

As suggested, I closed all programs, rebooted several times and ... same result.

As soon as I ask NodeXL to run Harel, and following the processes, I found that CPU goes 100% for 5 seconds, then crashes and … error message pop-up.

It's not memory ...is CPU !!! What can I do on NodeXL to set-up the CPU usage of the program? All suggestions are welcome
Dec 9, 2015 at 4:08 PM

Can you please paste here the exact error message that pops-up?

NodeXL is an Excel plugin so the process that is actually running is Excel. If you want to control CPU or RAM usage you should do it for Excel. I don't think it is a CPU-usage related problem as it can run with 100% CPU usage for a long time. I suspect it really is a Memory problem, 167k rows is a lot of data to render!

Anyways, please paste the exact error message so I can take a look!

Dec 9, 2015 at 4:17 PM
Until yesterday I was openning this 167k tweets without problem. Ok, it took two hours to render but, it worked. I can run all algorithms but Harel-Koren NO. Image of the error attached.
Dec 10, 2015 at 5:20 PM

I don't see any image attached, I think CodePlex doesn't accept them.

Can you please use some other service to upload the images (Dropbox, Google Drive etc)?