Nested groups and vertex->group->vertex edges

Sep 23, 2015 at 10:00 PM
I am new to NodeXL and evaluating this tool for visualizing some process flow data. From my preliminary experiments, NodeXL looks very promising. There are a few features that I am looking for that I could not find documentation about:
  1. Does NodeXL support a multi-level hierarchical nature? I was able to use the 'groups' feature to group a set of vertices, but this does not seem to allow me to add nested groups with multiple levels.
  2. When a set of vertices (V1, V2) are collapsed into a group G, the edge from the predecessor/previous vertex, say P to the new group uses one of the edge labels from P->V1 or P->V2 as the new label from P->G.
    Is there a way to modify the labels between vertices and groups?
  3. At a first glance, I was unable to use Excel formulas (using data from user-specified columns) to create labels for my edges/vertices. Is this correct or am I missing something?
Coordinator
Sep 23, 2015 at 10:06 PM
Hello!

Thank you for the interest in NodeXL!
  1. Sadly, no. NodeXL only supports the notion of a single level of groups. Further, groups may not overlap in NodeXL.
  2. Group labels can be modified in the Groups worksheet. Select NodeXL>Show/Hide>Workbook Columns>Labels to reveal these columns.
  3. That should work - you may need to use the formulas and then "paste special as values" to get the text to replace the formula?
Regards,
Marc
Sep 23, 2015 at 10:52 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, Marc!
I am now able to use formulas to define my edge labels (it worked after changing the 'Label' column format to 'General').

I am still unclear about my second question.
Just to clarify, I am able to set a label to the collapsed group itself. I would like to know whether we can change the labels of EDGES between vertices and collapsed groups.
Now, the edge between a regular vertex and a collapsed group, shows the label of one of the 'collapsed edges'.

If I am being unclear, let me know and I will try to post a screenshot of what I am seeing.
Thanks!
Coordinator
Sep 24, 2015 at 7:49 PM
Hello!

Thank you for the clarification.

I think I understand.

Edge labels between collapsed groups are all displayed at the same time.

See: https://nodexlgraphgallery.org/Pages/Graph.aspx?graphID=54099

Unless you bundle edges. Then all labels are removed.

You may remove the "Label" contents for any Edge that you do not want to display to get the effect that I think you want (one representative edge label for all shared edges between Group A and Group B).

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Marc