Importing Twitter user network data

Sep 7, 2015 at 7:24 PM
I have just started using NodeXL for my social media research. I read the book, 'Analyzing Social Media Networks with NodeXL: Insights from a Connected World' for general introduction. I understand how to import Twitter user network data (lists of followers), but when it comes to implementing the same routine to import the set of Twitter accounts it ended up unsuccessful. For example, I would like to look at the user network patterns of @WQED, which has more than 24,000 followers. However, it's impossible to get all the user network data due to the limitation of rate. I was just wondering how I can utilize NodeXL for bigger size user network analysis. Is it basically impossible to analyze oversized networks? Thank you very much for any advise in advance.
Sep 7, 2015 at 8:12 PM

Thank you for the interest in NodeXL!

Please see:

Sep 8, 2015 at 12:22 AM
Hello Marc,
Thank you very much for your quick response to my question. So, it's been changed hard to get 'follow' edges over the Twitter network. Instead, 'reply' and 'mention' edges are still significant to understand Twitter user network. I would like to know how to sort out 'reply' and 'mention' edges using NodeXL. I can only see two importing functions - importing from Twitter search network & from Twitter users network in the NodeXL template. I am sorry for a basic question,but I am just a beginner for NodeXL. Also, I just registered for NodeXL Pro account for student, but I can't directly tell what are the additional features I can take advantage of with the NodeXL Pro.

Best regards,
Oct 14, 2015 at 1:51 PM

Thank you for the interest in NodeXL Pro!

To get the reply and mention edges from Twitter, use the NodeXL>Data>Import> Import from Twitter Search Network feature.

When the data is downloaded, you can navigate to the Edges worksheet (this may require that you scroll to the left in the worksheet list to display the "Edges" worksheet).

In the Edges worksheet, after a Twitter import, there should be a column labeled "Relationship" - this will contain "Reply", "Mention", and "Tweet".

Using the Excel filters feature (the small drop down arrow in the header) you can exclude any relationship type. Then Refresh the Graph Pane and just the remaining edges will be displayed.

Each Edge also has a "Visibility" column (this may need to be revealed using the NodeXL>Show/Hide>Workbook Columns>Visual Properties). If a zero is present in this column that edge will not display. You can choose the edges to display by controlling the contents of this column. This could also be a =IF() formula to test a condition to decide if the edge is displayed. A similar feature is found in the NodeXL>Visual Properties>Autofill Columns>Edges>Edge visibility>Options arrow

A list of features present in NodeXL Basic and NodeXL Pro can be found here: