Dimming (reducing opacity) of unselected edges and vertices when selecting a vertex

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:50 AM
When selecting a vertex (or vertices) I would like to be able to dim (reduce the opacity) of all the unselected edges and vertices. This would improve the contrast of the image when the networks are very dense and aid visualisation analysis.

The only way I can see of doing this at the moment is to create additional columns in the edges and vertices sheets that contain a formula that responds to a search term. If the search term does not exist in the twitter string then opacity (of edge and vertex) is reduced to 30. If the search term does exist it does then the opacity of edge and vertex remains unchanged and the colour of the edge changes to red. Then adjust the column autofill settings accordingly.

Am I missing something simpler?

Mark
Coordinator
Jul 26, 2015 at 5:58 PM
Edited Feb 7 at 4:00 PM
Hello!

Thank you for the interest in NodeXL!

There are several ways to achieve your goal.

Your current method seems workable.

An alternative could be: make the complete graph opacity = 30, then make the "Highlighted" color the color you want. You should be able to click on any vertex and it will shift from the background color to the highlight color.

To set the selected edge and selected vertex colors, click the "Graph Options" menu found in the graph pane ("Document Actions"), click the Vertices tab and select the "Selected Vertices Color:".

Let me know if this helps you get the results you want.

Regards,

Marc
Jul 27, 2015 at 11:32 AM
Marc

Thanks for that.

I am just about there. What I am trying to do is highlight conversations with specific key words within the overall network diagram. So a conference hashtag might be #theqinitiative but there were sub conversations happening over the two days. The aim is to dim out all the edges and nodes that are not part of a specific conversation (tweets containing specific keywords) so you can see that conversation network against the dimmed out background of the whole map.

So I need to hide any edges that do not contain the key word in the tweet - which I think I have achieved by adding a search column which generates a 1 or 0 depending on the occurrence of the term and then linking the edge visibility column with the Autofill options. So Show if 1 and Hide if 0.

But also want to hide any nodes that are not part of that conversation - and I have not yet worked out how to do that as they still appear at the end of a hidden edge if I click on a node that is in the conversation.

What is the difference between Hide and Skip and the 1, 0, 2 options in the Visibility columns? Should I be using Skip instead of Hide?

Mark
Coordinator
Jul 27, 2015 at 2:30 PM
Hello!

Thank you for the interest in NodeXL!

Hide = do not display (but include in calculations).
Skip = do not display, do not use for calculations - similar to DELETE but less permanent.

When you select a node, you can double click to select neighbor nodes. Will this create the effect you want?

Regards,
Jan 31 at 1:05 PM
Coming back to this - using NodeXL Pro. How do I change the complete graph opacity to 30 (all vertices and all edges). I do not see a single setting for this.
Coordinator
Feb 7 at 4:00 PM
How to "change the complete graph opacity to 30"?

There are two basic ways: using GRAPH OPTIONS to control the default setting for all edges and vertices and to use the Edit Selected Vertex (and Edge) Properties on any selected vertices (and incident edges).

This is the Graph Options dialog highlighting the Vertices Tab

This is the Graph Options dialog highlighting the Edges Tab

Modify the Opacity settings here to control the default for the Graph as a whole.

Alternatively, select all vertices with CTRL+A or select a sub-set of vertices with the selection tool (Click-Drag) and then right-click and select Edit Selected Vertex Properties and change the opacity:

This can be repeated for selected edges as well:

One additional alternative is to directly edit the opacity values in the Edges and Vertices worksheets. These columns may be hidden (by default) - use the NodeXL>Show/Hide>Workbook Columns>Visual Properties to reveal the "Opacity"column.

I hope this addresses your question - feel free to follow up!

Regards,

Marc