NodeXL Deployment

Jul 6, 2015 at 5:33 PM
Hello,
We are trying to deploy NodeXL for our university computer labs. We frequently encounter slow connectivity issues to the nodexl server during setup, which causes failures. Also we would like to ensure that the version of NodeXL does not change during the course of the semester to ensure that NodeXL works as expected within the lab environment. I noticed that NodeXL setup file allows setting a url for downloading the content. Would it be possible to provide the instructions on how to setup this url and associated files so that the clients can download this locally (E.g. Copying the files to a local directory on the client PC's and pointing the URL to that location) or through our own local web server (IIS web directory). Please let me know if this is possible.
Your prompt attention is much appreciated as we approach the deadline for deploying NodeXL for teaching purposes.
Thanks.
Coordinator
Jul 6, 2015 at 6:07 PM
Hello!

Thank you for the interest in NodeXL!

NodeXL does need access to the internet to install.

We recognize a demand for a locally install-able version and have added this to our work item list.

But we will need to secure support for this work item - which may require a week or more of developer time to implement.

In the meantime, we recommend that Labs have administrators install the application with firewall access to the Internet installation points.

Regards,

Marc
Coordinator
Jul 7, 2015 at 5:14 PM
Hello,

I am afraid setting a different URL is not possible. The code is signed with a certificate and it will only download content from the specified URL. If you don't want to update NodeXL in the future I suggest you install NodeXL in each lab computer and then block access to nodexlgraphgallery.org. Please NOTE that by doing so you also block users from normally accessing graph gallery and disable the "Upload to NodeXL Graph Gallery" option. I am sorry but this is the only way to prevent NodeXL from updating!

The best solution would be (as Marc mentioned in the previous post) for us to build a separate setup for lab environments, but that requires support!

Regards,
Arber