From Word to Excel to Directed Graph?

Jun 11, 2015 at 5:02 PM
I am knee deep in the monotonous process of building data containing tables in Microsoft Word 2013. Vaguely, my goal is a collection of interactive directed graphs. Can someone please point me to a simple minded tutorial? How do I go from Word to Excel and from Excel to a set of spiffy graphs?
Jun 11, 2015 at 5:21 PM

Thank you for the interest in NodeXL!

NodeXL is focused on "edges" - pairs of unique identifiers.

An edge is composed of two vertices (or "nodes").

An edge can contain additional data about the nature of the connection (when? how much?) and the nature of the nodes.

Edges can be text.

CSV works.

Word is OK.

As far as NodeXL is concerned, so long as there are two columns of identifiers in two columns in a worksheet, it is happy!

So, the simple process is: create a spreadsheet with at least two columns: Thing 1 and Thing 2.

You can paste this data directly into the "Edges" worksheet of a blank NodeXL workbook.

OR, you can open the data in a workbook in the same instance of Excel as a blank NodeXL workbook. Then use the NodeXL>Data>Import>From open workbook feature. This dialog will allow you to identify which column is an "edge" attribute, and which column is a "Vertex" attribute, simplifying the process of converting a flat file into a NodeXL workbook.