Help with SEC Graph Metrics

Apr 15, 2015 at 10:06 PM
I am a communications scholar trying to use SNA (first time!) in my research.
I am using "Tweeting Apart: Applying Newtwork Analysis to Detect Selective Exposure Clusters in Twitter" to guide my work.
I managed to get up to "selective exposure cluster method" (p.204). After completing the required steps my "overall metrics" graphs read, "not available", save the "in-degree" graph.
Did I miss a step or maybe doing something wrong?

Please advise. Kind thanks.
Apr 17, 2015 at 3:31 PM

Thank you for the interest in NodeXL.

We have connected via other channels but I wanted to summarize some of the resources I pointed you towards:

NodeXL book:

Allows you to use other people's "recipes" on your data. Some graphs come with their data set and the "recipe" linked at the bottom of the page.

Download the NodeXL Options Used to Create the Graph

In NodeXL>Options>Import - Select the file you download.

Then select NodeXL>Options>Use Current for New

Then click NodeXL>Graph>Automate

Apr 21, 2015 at 2:14 AM
Hi Marc,

Thanks again for your extensive assistance and encouragement via Twitter and email.

Unfortunately, I am still having severe complications with the program.
Node XL constantly on my operating system (Perhaps because I am forced to use a university computer as my laptop is a MAC?)

Regardless, I am extremely frustrated, and do not have time to devote to this technology at the moment as the draft of my thesis is due in 10 days!

I am still committed to SNA theory (used in a mixed-methodological approach, complementing interviews with activists in developing and developed world), and citing your research in my paper, and would still like to use Node XL graphs and maps in my findings (with acknowledgements to you and your foundation).

Would you please be able to assist me again in creating a NodeXL Social Media Network Map for the hashtag #bringbackourgirls from April 14-15, 2015?

I was hoping to do it myself and after your instructions / watching the tutorials was able to use annotate to import the settings etc., but the program just keeps crashing!

Kind thanks again for all your support.

Warm Regards,

Chelsey Smith

[email removed]

LinkedIn/ChelseySmith Twitter/chelseysm1th