NodeXL Twitter Limit

Apr 11, 2015 at 10:17 AM
Hi Everyone

I am using NodeXl for gain few insights about a small network of peer.
In order to collect the relevant data I have opened a Twitter account last February.However I am experiencing few issues:

1) NodeXl works pretty well, however every time I want to download a Twitter search or user network I am not able to download information prior to February 2015. Although the twitter limit has not been reached and there exist previous twitters/actions for the search/users. Is this happening because I open my twitter account just last February? Therefore, I do not have visibility of previous Twitter actions? Are you able to advice on this?

2) Moreover,I am not sure which is the best way to collect the information about a twitter user network (followers).Now I am following the path: Import->Twitter Users Network->Twitter Users with this usernames->Basic Network. However when download the information I have the same temporal limit as described above.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sincerely,

Floriana
Coordinator
Apr 11, 2015 at 4:50 PM
Hello!

Thank you for the interest in NodeXL!
  1. Twitter regulates the amount of data it provides to any application. Twitter Rate Limits will not deliver any tweet older than about 7 or 8 days and will not return more than 18,000 tweets (this is via the REST API). The limits you experience are not related to the date of your Twitter account creation.
  2. The Twitter Followers network is available, but only in very limited volumes. This is because of changes in TWitter's API (shifting from API 1.1 to 1.1). See:
http://www.connectedaction.net/2013/06/11/over-the-edge-twitter-api-1-1-makes-follows-edges-hard-to-get/

Regards,

Marc