"Automate" does not work for several files

Mar 18, 2015 at 9:39 PM
Hello,

thanks for awesome product.
Everything is working as designed in "interactive" mode (i would like to have some advanced graph/viz options, but this is a "wish"...)

Unfortunately, automate feature did not work for me.
Task is very simple. I have several small files (say 100-200 files). each with small simple graphs.
I just want to create pictures for them in automated mode. I selected "automate" and chose the folder with these files. NodeXL showed couple of very complicated-looking error messages and nothing happened/exported.

Again - everything is working in manual mode. Please help to create/export images in automated mode.
Coordinator
Mar 18, 2015 at 11:33 PM
Hello!

Thank you for the interest in NodeXL.

Sorry to hear that the batch automate feature is not working correctly for you.

Can you share the complicated looking error messages here to help us trouble-shoot the issue?

Does the process work for the first file and then fail on the second? Or does it fail immediately on the first file?

Do the files that do generate an error also throw this error when you run "Automate" directly?

Could you try running the Automate process with just 2 or 3 files in the target directory?

I am able to run this feature locally, so it may be that a configuration issue is causing the problem.

Regards,

Marc
Mar 19, 2015 at 8:11 AM
Thank you for your feedback.

> Can you share the complicated looking error messages here to help us trouble-shoot the issue?

Before these messages, Excel (or NodeXL) tries to assess the Personal.xlsb and can't "own" it. Don't know if this Excel issue, or NodeXL issue, or my conf issue. Or not related at all...
I have personal.xlsb with some very simple macros and functions in the default MS Excel folder.

Message #1.

Details:

[InvalidOperationException]: The Excel application's process couldn't be found.

at Smrf.AppLib.ExcelApplicationKiller..ctor(Application visibleExcelApplication)

at Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.TaskAutomator.AutomateOneWorkbookIndirect(String nodeXLWorkbookFilePath, String workbookSettings)

Message #2 (this appears after I press OK on message #1 window ).

[NullReferenceException]: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.TaskAutomator.AutomateOneWorkbookIndirect(String nodeXLWorkbookFilePath, String workbookSettings)

at Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.TaskAutomator.AutomateFolder(String folderToAutomate, String workbookSettings)

at Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.AutomateTasksDialog.btnOK_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

> Does the process work for the first file and then fail on the second? Or does it fail immediately on the first file?

Most of the time (~95%) process worked fine for the first file and failed on second.

> Do the files that do generate an error also throw this error when you run "Automate" directly?

No problems with any file if "automate" just for this file. Every function in batch works correctly for single (opened) file.

> Could you try running the Automate process with just 2 or 3 files in the target directory?

It is the same - with 2 files or with 200 files. Also the same if all files in the folder are "closed" or automation is run from one of the opened files in folder.
Mar 20, 2015 at 7:07 AM
Marc,

Please advise if information I've supplied is enough to pinpoint and correct this behavior?

Thanks again, waiting for your feedback and advice.