Graph drawing stop working after using NodeXL for some time

Jun 4, 2009 at 1:59 AM

I have noticed this behavior in a number of builds now, up to and incl. 85.

After some time (30 minutes to an hour, say?) of using NodeXL, chart refresh stops working.  I've usually noticed this when I've minimized the chart, then try to bring it back.  The chart frame renders, but the canvas remains "transparent", that is, it contains a static image of the spreadsheet behind it.

Closing and re-opening the worksheet doesn't help.

Closing and restarting Excel on this worksheet seems to reset something, and charting works again.

I don't know how to repro this; but I've seen it often enough now that I'm relatively sure that I'm not imagining it.  Please let me know if there are any logging or debugging steps you'd like me to take.

thanks for a wonderful tool

Pierre

Jun 5, 2009 at 1:47 AM

Pierre:

I haven't seen this myself.  It might be an issue with WPF, the drawing technology used by NodeXL.  Before I post a question to Microsoft's WPF programming forum, can you please tell me the following:

* Your operating system.

* The latest operating system service pack you have.  You can find out in Control Panel, System.

Thanks,
    Tony

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Thanks, Tony.  I'm on Windows XP SP3.

This may be unrelated, but earlier this morning my igxprd32 display driver stopped working, and I had to reboot.  I checked that I'm running the latest version of my Lenovo X61's video driver - so there may (also?) be a hardware problem.

Pierre

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:38 PM

Pierre:

I suspect (but don't know) that there is a problem with your Lenovo's video driver.  I've asked for help on one of Microsoft's programming forums.  I'll let you know what I hear back on it.

-- Tony

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wpf/thread/dab5e9f3-d423-430d-9f01-48f49a9e64a2

Jun 6, 2009 at 12:19 PM

I'd be inclined to agree that it's a video driver issue. What happens if you go into the video card troubleshooting tab and turn down the level of hardware acceleration?

Jun 7, 2009 at 7:10 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, Andy. I've turned off hardware acceleration completely.  Let's see what happens... since the problem was intermittent, I'm not sure that I'll be able to draw a direct correlation, but at least if the problem recurs we'll know it's not hardware ;-)

Jun 8, 2009 at 3:10 AM

Pierre, please see the 6/7/2009 post from "jods" at the WPF development forum:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wpf/thread/dab5e9f3-d423-430d-9f01-48f49a9e64a2/

To summarize, jods thinks the most likely cause is a bug in the Lenovo's video card driver, with the more remote possibility being a bug in WPF, the Microsoft drawing technology used by NodeXL.  I also lean towards a driver issue, and if turning off acceleration causes the bug to go away, that will be additional evidence.  (Turning off acceleration, by the way, causes WPF to rely more on its own software and less on the video card, possibly slowing down drawing operations but bypassing video card problems.)

-- Tony