Import problems

Jan 2, 2015 at 5:19 PM
Can you please help me import into NodeXL? I have survey data that was placed in an Excel workbook. It is like a matrix, but it is not square (missing categories and also multiple people from the same organization- the "nodes"- answered the survey). Thus, even if I add dummy rows to make it square, I cannot import using the matrix method due to the duplicates. The data also do not represent an ideal edge list, since there is a matrix of responses. Column D is vertex 1 (these are organization abbreviations) and column BM - DD are the matrix of connections that each survey respondent from those organizations said that they had with the 42 different organizations. I am happy to email the workbook, but I don't see a way to attach it here. Please let me know if there is a way to enter this data by importing it. I do NOT want to hand enter it since there are too many columns (vertex attributes) and too great a risk of error.

Thanks!
Coordinator
Jan 3, 2015 at 6:41 PM
Hello!

Thank you for the interest in NodeXL.

Importing Graph Data from Another Workbook: You can import graph data that is stored in another open Excel workbook in either matrix format or as an edge list. In either case, the other workbook must already be opened in Excel; NodeXL will not open it for you.

To import graph data from an Excel workbook that contains a matrix: In the Ribbon, select NodeXL, Data, Import, From Open Matrix Workbook. Follow the instructions in the Import from Open Matrix Workbook dialog box.

NodeXL requires that the matrix is square.

NodeXL can also import from Edge Lists which are comma separated rows with two identifiers (from and to).

Regards,

Marc