Searching by geolocation and/or language

Nov 27, 2014 at 1:52 PM
Hello everybody,

I was wondering if it was possible to look for a specified geolocation or a language within the search network? Has anyone experience with that?

Thank you so much nodexl! :)
Best,
bE_
Coordinator
Nov 30, 2014 at 11:54 AM
Hello and thank you for the interest in NodeXL!

Some network data sources do include location data, sometimes in the form of Latitude and Longitude values.

Twitter is an example of a social media network data source that occasionally includes Lat/Long data (in about 3-5% of Tweets).

These data elements can be found in the Edges worksheet (they are an attribute of a Tweet).

When present, these location values can be used to filter the network.

Social media network data sources vary widely in terms of their features and limitations. While the Twitter web interface does allow users to specify location constraints, this feature is not available through the API that NodeXL uses to collect data.

Language can be defined using the lang: operator

Dutch – lang:nl
Danish – lang:da
English – lang:en
Filipino - lang:fil
Finnish – lang:fi
French – lang:fr
German – lang:de
Hindi – lang:hi
Hungarian – lang:hu
Indonesian – lang:id
Italian – lang:it
Japanese – lang:ja
Korean – lang:ko
Malay – lang:msa
Norwegian – lang:no
Polish – lang:pl
Portuguese – lang:pt
Russian – lang:ru
Simplified Chinese – lang:zh-cn
Spanish – lang:es
Swedish – lang:sv
Traditional Chinese – lang:zh-tw
Turkish – lang:tr

Regards,

Marc
May 20, 2015 at 11:09 AM
Hello everyone,

Thank you for NodeXL! I was wondering;
Using the lang: operator, as stated above, I noticed that NodeXL no longer searches for search terms preceded by a hashtag, as it does when the lang: operator is not included.

For example:
importing a twitter search network with the term:

NodeXL

Gives me a network including tweets containing "#NodeXL" as well as "NodeXL"
Importing a twitter search network with the term:

NodeXL lang:en

Gives me a network including only english tweets containing "NodeXL" and not "#NodeXL"
Is there a way to use the operator and still include tweets containing terms with hashtag?
Looking forward to your answer.

Best regards,

McP
Coordinator
May 20, 2015 at 5:21 PM
Hello!

Thank you for the interest in NodeXL!

The NodeXL Twitter importer simply passes queries to the Twitter API and parses the results into a network.

We have very limited insight into the back end operation of the Twitter search API.

I can recommend that the community around dev.twitter.com (see: https://twittercommunity.com/) can be helpful.

Regards,

Marc