New to NodeXL . . . can't figure out quickly how to input groups

Nov 13, 2014 at 10:13 PM
Hi all,

I'm trying to learn NodeXL on my own for some environmental research. I have what I thought would be an easy task for social network mapping, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to import my data into the software correctly.

Here's my challenge:
I have a pretty basic excel sheet with a list of a few hundred businesses as Column 1, and then environmentally-related Industry Groups (about 15 of them) of which they are members as the columns, with a Yes or No in each cell to record which ones are members of which industry groups. Each industry group has about a hundred members. I was hoping I could quickly turn this into a network map (showing which businesses are connected through their membership in the same industry groups).

I'm guessing the businesses are the vertices, and industry groups would be edges?

Is there a way to input this data into the NodeXL template to get what I'm looking for?

I will keep watching youtube videos in the meantime, but I haven't found the right one yet! Most seem to focus on inputing from email, facebook, and twitter.

Thanks if you can help!

J
Coordinator
Nov 15, 2014 at 6:00 PM
Hello J,

thank you for using NodeXL! If I understand well your data are structured in this way:

Business Industry Group1 Industry Group2 Industry Group3 Industry Group4.......Industry Group15
Business1 Yes No Yes Yes No
Business2 No Yes Yes Yes No
Business3 Yes No No Yes Yes
Business4 Yes No No No No

If you want to have Bisuness-to-Business connections, then I suggest you build edges in this way: an edge will exist between two businesses if they belong in the same Industry Group. To keep track of the Industry Groups also, you can add a column in the edges worksheet named "Industry Group" which will hold the name of the industry group the two businesses belong to. In this way you will have multiple duplicate edges. For example: there will be two edge Business1-Business2 because they are both in Industry Group3 and Industry Group4. In this way there will be three edges Business1-Business4.

If you are searching for an automatic way to build these edges from the information you have, I can tell you that there is no such way.

Regards,
Arber
Coordinator
Nov 15, 2014 at 10:16 PM
Hello!

As Arber describes, NodeXL wants data to be in the form of an Edge List in which every connection is written:
 Business ID #1, Business ID#2, Industry Group Name
An alternative is the "incidence matrix" - you seem to have constructed this matrix with row and columns listing Business Names and the intersection containing a Yes or No.

If the "Yes" or "No" was represented as a "1" or a "0" then NodeXL can import from a worksheet and transform that data into an edge list for you.

Consider using Search and Replace to turn "Yes" == "1" and "No" == "0".

Save and close the file.

Open a blank NodeXL workbook. Drag a copy of the incidence matrix file into the same copy of Excel (drag the file into the Excel title bar to get it to open the file in a separate window).

Now switch back to the empty NodeXL workbook and use the NodeXL > Data > Import > From open matrix workbook.

The data will be imported into the new, empty, NodeXL workbook in the form of an edge list.

Regards,

Marc