multiple imports - only nodes updated

Oct 19, 2014 at 8:07 PM
Hey guys,

First, thanks for providing this great tool - it has already been a tremendous help in my research. I however face one problem:

I need to analyze more than the 18,000 Twitter tweets (i.e. tweets of a longer period) - so more than maximum of one import. Combining the spreadsheets of several imports seems to be a bit tricky in excel. I noticed there is a feature of again importing without clearing the previous import - that would be perfect.

However, I noticed that it adds vertices but not edges to my spreadsheet with already approx. 20k lines. The edges spreadsheets remains unchanged. Anyone have an idea what i might be doing wrong? Is 18,000 not the import maximum but generally the maximum nodexl can work with?

Big thanks in advance. Cheers,
Philipp
Coordinator
Oct 20, 2014 at 1:44 PM
Hello,

18,000 is the maximum number of tweets Twitter API will give us, it is not the maximum that NodeXL can handle. It may be possible that the two datasets have the same edges and NodeXL doesn't add them. I tried with Facebook data and both vertices and edges sheets were updated.

Regards,
Arber
Marked as answer by philippaller on 10/21/2014 at 12:21 PM
Oct 21, 2014 at 8:20 PM
Hello Arber,

I highly appreciate your fast reply - thank you! Your answer is correct, I apparently had a problem with my file. I've re-installed nodexl and now it works fine, vertices and edges are updated with each import.

So to those you might experience a similar problem and see this thread: the import without clearing previous data seems to be the most comfortable way to collect data over a period of time and it works well. If your data is not updated, consider re-installing - worked for me.

Cheers,
Philipp

BTW: i made a small but well meant donation to the nodexl project. great to see people so committed to this project.