Question regarding closeness centrality

Sep 12, 2014 at 8:22 AM
Hi, I have analyzed one following network's closeness centrality, and I noticed that the nodes with very few followers, such as 1 or 2 in-degree, has very high closeness centrality. Does this indicate that Nodexl did not do the inverse of closeness centrality? Having a higher closeness centrality means being in a very peripheral location in a network?

Thank you!!
Nov 29, 2014 at 8:03 PM
I'm a bit puzzled as well!

I was under the impression that a higher closeness centrality indicates a more peripheral location however, as I have just discovered, if you read the NodeXL book it states 'Unlike other centrality metrics, a lower Closeness Centrality score indicates a more central (i.e. important) position in the network in version 1.0.1.113 of NodeXL. In more recent versions of NodeXL the inverse is used so that higher values indicate more central people' (p. 72).

I interpret this as older versions of NodeXL were not taking into account the reciprocal - hence lower values. Now the values are taking into consideration the reciprocal this means that higher closeness values indicates a higher closeness.

This keeps it in line with all other centrality measures in NodeXL where the highest value = the more important/influential/powerful user.

Hope this helps!

Andy