AFTER UPDATE: TWITTER AUTHENTICATION ISSUE

Aug 8, 2014 at 4:22 PM
Hello,

I have updated Nodexl to the latest version.

I have a first odd issue, and a bigger problem with importing from Twitter.

ODD ISSUE:

I can't seem to find any trace of Nodexl in my programme list. Before, I had a shortcut in my start menu. It's gone. If I want to launch Nodexl, I have to launch a search in my drives for "nodexl" and then click on one of the files I find.

TWITTER PROBLEM

After the update, if I try yo import from twitter, I do not have the usual 3 options (no twitter; twitter account but not authorized; twitter and authorized).

I have two listed, BUT ONLY ONE AVAILABLE (the other is greyed out): "I have a Twitter account, but....."

If I click OK, I get the following error:

" An error occurred while attempting to authorize Nodexl to use your Twitter account;

the remote server returned an error : (401) Unathorized"

I have the feeling something went wrong with the twitter authorization token I use to have in the previous version...

Any ideas?? I simply cannot seem to be able to "force" the Twitter authorization page to open.
Aug 8, 2014 at 5:00 PM
Edited Aug 8, 2014 at 5:03 PM
On the odd issue:

The latest version of NodeXL should show up in "All Programs" on the Start menu as "NodeXL Excel Template," and it should be easily found by just searching for "NodeXL" on the Start menu or Start screen. Is that not the case on your computer? Is there a chance you accidentally deleted a shortcut while looking for the program? If so, uninstalling NodeXL and installing it again should fix the problem.

On the Twitter problem:

A common cause of the "(401) Unauthorized" message when you attempt to authorize NodeXL to use your Twitter account is a computer clock that is set wrong. Make sure your clock is set to the accurate time and try again.

-- Tony
Aug 9, 2014 at 9:18 AM
Hello Tony,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

You are spot on on the clock issue. The day before my laptop had gone into sleep while importing massive data from Twitter. I changed the time to "cheat" it back into importing without losing the data I had so far. Now it's fixed.

On the odd issue, I will try the re-installation, but I had already done it and the problem was still there. That said, it's no biggie, I created a shortcut to the launcher and it's working fine.

best,

MVA
Aug 10, 2014 at 6:39 PM
MVA:

I'm glad the authorization problem is solved, but the missing Start menu shortcut is a mystery to me. I can't figure out how that would occur.

Please note that you will probably have to repeat your "shortcut to the launcher" workaround every time NodeXL automatically updates itself, because it installs itself in a new folder with each update. Updates happen irregularly nowadays, as you can see in this list of release dates:

http://nodexl.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=CompleteReleaseHistory

-- Tony