Importing data from Twitter users network page changes a lot in the new version NodeXL. How to upload data like before?

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:10 PM
Hi,

I used to use the old version of NodeXl, in which the importing data from twitter users network page is like this:

I can choose to add a vertex for each: Person followed by the user; Person following the user
I can also choose to add edge for each: Followed/ Following relationship; replies relationship; Mentions relationship
I can choose include level 2.0 so that I can see my followers' friends even though i don't connect with them directly

With the setting of the old version, I can import all my company follower's information as vertex and and see the their own network (relationship include Following/Follow; reply and mention), so that i can see the opinion leaders in their network who are not directly connected with me.

But in the newest NodeXL version, the importing data from twitter users network page changes a lot. I cannot only upload my twitter account's followers as vertex because i have to upload the replies and mention relationship at the same time. I don't know why.......

Can you give me some instruction about how can i load twitter data like i did before?
Jul 3, 2014 at 10:39 PM
Edited Jul 5, 2014 at 5:35 PM
Please see this conversation, which is about the same issue:

http://nodexl.codeplex.com/discussions/550431

-- Tony
Jul 8, 2014 at 9:16 PM
Got it! Thank you Tony!
Jul 31, 2014 at 7:26 PM
Hi Tony,

Another questions about the number limitation when uploading Twitter users data. I downloaded the old version NodeXL, and try to upload followers data in a 2.0 level for a Twitter account with 6k followers. I know that would be huge network data considering about the number of followers for each my account follower , and actually my computer broke down in the process. So then i try to upload followers data with a number limitation.

My setting is "Add a vertex for each person following the user"; "Add an edge for each follower/followering relationship"; level 2.0 In the "limit to ( ) people" box, I set the number 6000 (the upper limit seems to be 9999).

My questions is: Does this setting mean setting limitation to the whole network size? or just to my followers number? how do you decide which part of data is limited?

Thanks,
Mona
Jul 31, 2014 at 7:38 PM
Hello, Mona:

If you specify level 2.0 and "limit to 6,000 people," then NodeXL asks Twitter for Bob's most recent 6,000 followers, and for each of those followers' 6,000 most recent followers. So the limit applies to each level of the network.

-- Tony
Jul 31, 2014 at 9:31 PM
Hi Tony,

Thanks for the quick response. Then how to define "recent", can you give me some time frame? Also, why can't I upload data successfully without setting limitation? Does it also happen to others? How to solve it?

Thanks,
Mona
Jul 31, 2014 at 10:01 PM
Mona:

"Recent" refers to the date on which each of Bob's followers started following Bob. NodeXL will give you the followers who most recently started following Bob. Those people who started following Bob a long time ago might not be included in the 6,000 followers you asked for. You're only going to get Bob's 6,000 newest (most recent) followers.

Please note that you are using an old version of NodeXL, one in which the feature you're trying to use worked poorly. In newer versions, you are discouraged from requesting networks that NodeXL probably can't import. Here is a note from the post I referred to earlier:

"We made this change because asking for too many friends was unreliable. It worked for some people, but others reported having Twitter abruptly stop in the middle of the network, for no apparent reason. Also, asking for too many friends can result in graphs that are too large for NodeXL to handle."

Based on what you've told me about what you need to import (2-degree networks with large numbers of followers), I don't think you can do that with NodeXL. Not with the older version, and not with the new one, either.

-- Tony