Manually change groups position

Apr 28, 2014 at 10:21 AM
Edited Apr 28, 2014 at 10:21 AM
Hello everyone,

I am creating a network display on NodeXL, where nodes are countries, and countries are grouped by clusters. I am using the Group-in-a-box layout, but I would like to choose the position of boxes in order to make a more visible network (putting more connected clusters close to each other).
I saw in an elder discussion (https://nodexl.codeplex.com/discussions/404168) that groups are plotted by the number of nodes assigned, and that it was not possible at that time to manually change the display order.
So I have the following questions:

1- Is it possible now to manually change the groups order?

2- If it is the case, I think it is by using the Layout column of the Groups Excel worksheet, but I do not get to use it. How can I use this column.

3- If it is not the case: it is possible to manually move the groups by selecting all the vertex of the group in the graph display and moving them. The problem is that the group's label do not move with the nodes. Is it possible to make that the group label move with the nodes, or to manually add a label, in order to adding the group label after positionning it manually?

Thank you for your help.

Ignacio
Apr 28, 2014 at 6:18 PM
Hello, Ignacio:

I'm afraid that NodeXL doesn't offer you any control over the position of the group boxes. It orders and positions them by descending vertex count. I don't know of any way to do what you want to do.

-- Tony
Apr 28, 2014 at 6:47 PM
Is there some way that a sufficient number of dummy vertices be added to the group (via the vertices column) to get the order OP wants, but not show them? Peter
Apr 28, 2014 at 10:21 PM
Edited Apr 28, 2014 at 11:29 PM
Hi, Peter:

That might work, but it would be tedious. Here is what you would have to do:

1) Add N vertices to the Vertices worksheet, where N is a number you calculate.

2) Set the Visibility of those vertices to Show, to make them appear in the graph pane.

3) Refresh the graph.

4) Select those vertices by dragging a box around them in the graph pane.

5) Use NodeXL, Analysis, Groups, Add Selected Vertices to Group to add the vertices to the desired group.

6) Select the vertices again.

7) Set their Opacity to zero to make them disappear from the graph pane.

8) Repeat for every group.

I wouldn't want to have to do that for more than one or two groups.

-- Tony
Apr 29, 2014 at 5:50 PM
Thank you for your answer Tony and for your proposition Peter.

I plotted my clusters with a Circle layout, so adding phantom vertices will make giant undesired circles... In addition, that solution doesn't give you the amount of liberty I wanted for changing the group's positions.

I finally manually moved the groups to the positions I wanted, and manually added the groups labels with photoshop...

Ignacio