Hello
What I am doing wrong?:
I work with MS Office 2013. And I have tried to install
current NodeXL Excel Template 2014
date Thu Jan 23, 2014 at 9:00 AM
status Beta
I got this error message:
Name: NodeXL Excel Template
Von: http://www.nodexlgraphgallery.org/NodeXLSetup/Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto

************** Ausnahmetext **************
System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentException: Speichermetadaten"DeploymentProviderUri" sind ungültig.
bei Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.DownloadAddIn(TimeSpan timeout)
bei Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.InstallAddIn()
Thanks for your help!
Peter
Apr 24, 2014 at 8:22 PM
Hello, Peter:

I suspect there is something on your computer--security software, perhaps--that is blocking access to the files that NodeXL needs to install itself. Access could also be blocked by your network if you are working within a corporate environment that prevents software from being downloaded.

What security software do you have on your computer? Something like Norton Internet Security, or Kaspersky Internet Security, or whatever. And are you connected to a corporate network?

Also, what is your Web browser? Depending on the browser you have, I can tell you something to try that will determine whether my guess is correct.

-- Tony
Apr 25, 2014 at 6:47 AM
Hi Tony
Thanks for your support!
Web Browser: firefox
Security SW: Kapsersky Internet Security
Corporate Network?: NO
Windows 7
Peter
Apr 25, 2014 at 4:47 PM
Hello, Peter:

Please try this:

In Firefox, enter this into the address bar and press Enter:

http://www.nodexlgraphgallery.org/NodeXLSetup/Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto

Firefox should offer to save the file for you. Go ahead and save the file somewhere on your computer. (Do NOT choose to open the file.) Once you save it, you should delete it. You are not going to use this file; this is just to test whether your computer can download the file that NodeXL needs.

Were you able to download the file, or did an error message pop up during this test?

-- Tony
Apr 26, 2014 at 11:31 AM
Hi Tony
Yes, I was able to download the file. No message did pop up
Peter
Apr 28, 2014 at 12:28 PM
Hi Tony
Do you have any other idea, how I can find out, what is going wrong?
Peter
Apr 28, 2014 at 6:28 PM
Edited Apr 29, 2014 at 12:47 AM
Hello, Peter:

I haven't figured out what's wrong. The URL the message is complaining about is perfectly valid, and in fact you were able to download the file from that URL, so the message is proving unhelpful.

Here is one thing you can try:

1) Open Internet Explorer. I know this isn't your default browser, but we can't use Firefox for this because Firefox doesn't provide a "Run" option. (You should be able to find Internet Explorer simply by searching for "Internet" in your Start Menu.)

2) In Internet Explorer, browse to this address:

http://www.nodexlgraphgallery.org/NodeXLSetup/Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto

3) Does Internet Explorer give you an option to either "Run" or "Open" the file? If so, select that option.

If all goes well, running that file from Internet Explorer will install NodeXL.

(Note to anyone else reading this: Don't try this. You have to run NodeXLExcelTemplate2014Setup.exe, not the file discussed here.)

-- Tony
May 1, 2014 at 3:04 PM
Edited May 1, 2014 at 3:05 PM
Hi Tony
I have tried it with Internet Explorer - but it did not work; I got the same error message:

Name: NodeXL Excel Template
Von: http://www.nodexlgraphgallery.org/NodeXLSetup/Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto

************** Ausnahmetext **************
System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentException: Speichermetadaten"DeploymentProviderUri" sind ungültig.
bei Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.DownloadAddIn(TimeSpan timeout)
bei Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.InstallAddIn()

Peter
May 1, 2014 at 5:41 PM
Darn it.

If you haven't lost patience yet, let me try one more thing before I give up. What language and country is your computer set up to use? I'm wondering if there is a bug somewhere that only occurs with certain languages. If I know your language and country, I can set up the same kind of computer and see if I can get the problem to occur for me.

If you were using an English computer, you would determine the language and country--"German (Austria)" for example--by searching for "Region and Language" in the Windows Start Menu or Start Screen and looking at the "Format" in the Region and Language dialog box.

Thanks,
Tony
May 1, 2014 at 5:48 PM
Hi Tony

I am using German (Switzerland).

Peter
May 2, 2014 at 5:43 PM
Edited May 2, 2014 at 5:43 PM
I set up and tested a German (Switzerland) computer and successfully installed NodeXL on it, so my idea about there being a language-related problem didn't pan out.

I don't know what's causing this. The only other idea I have is that perhaps Kaspersky is blocking one of the files in the NodeXL package--not the "Smrf.NodeXL.ExcelTemplate.vsto" file itself, but one of the files it references. The standard advice for testing such ideas is to temporarily turn off the security software before installing NodeXL, but that isn't anything I would ever do myself and I don't advise you to do it, either. (And anyway, many people use Kaspersky, and we haven't heard of similar problems from anyone else.)

I'll let you know if I can think of anything else.

-- Tony
May 5, 2014 at 3:48 PM
Hi Tony
Turning off Kaspersky did not work too.
Anyway: Thank you very much for your support!
Peter