Network of Videos linked by the same tags

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:54 AM
Dear Marc,

I am reading your publication "Analyzing Social Media Networks with NodeXL" which is great -- thanks for that!

At the moment I am working with the YouTube Case Study. On page 238 Rotman and Golbeck describe the importation of videos linked by the same tags. I wonder why this feature is not available in the latest version of nodeXl? I believe it is a great tool to categorize the content of videos and to make up a typology. Are there any alternatives to examine shared tags given by users? Would it be possible to include this feature again?

I was hoping that the cluster-algorithms are working with tags. But they are rather using metrics like density etc. Concerning YouTube attributes, these algorithms seem to be a black box. Do you know the YouTube attributes the cluster algorithms use for the grouping process?

Thanks so much for any advise,
Nils
Apr 9, 2014 at 1:20 PM
Nils --

Unfortunately the YouTube API changed a little while back and they no longer offer the 'video tags' metadata field. NodeXL was subsequently updated and this import option was removed as the changes to the API left it obsolete.
Apr 9, 2014 at 1:48 PM
Edited Apr 9, 2014 at 1:48 PM
Thanks for the fast reply, curtis. It's a pity.
So the only possibility left to group automatically by content is to use "videos linked by category", right?
Thanks and best regards,
Nils
Apr 9, 2014 at 2:19 PM
As far as I know, you are correct. Keep in mind there are a limited amount of categories to pick from when uploading a video.

Apr 10, 2014 at 10:55 AM
Hmmm, I see, there is only one category available for each video and users often use it rather arbitrary...

In order to get a real sense of semantic connections between the videos: Would it be possible to retrieve video-descriptions from the API and to build a network by shared terms? One could identify hubs of videos that share the same words in their descriptions. That would be a wonderful way to identify semantic networks if indeed such a thing is possible...Do you see a way?