Making nodes relative to volume values?

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:51 PM
I have frequency counts associated with the two universes I wish to visualize.

Under which column header on the NodeXl interface would I place the column of relative frequencies, so that my node sizes are relative to the frequency count?

Mar 20, 2014 at 4:05 PM
Edited Mar 20, 2014 at 4:05 PM
If you want NodeXL to set the size of your vertices based on your frequency counts, then you should add your column to the Vertices worksheet.

Try this:

1) Add your "Frequency Count" column to the right edge of the Vertices worksheet.

2) In the Excel ribbon, go to NodeXL, Visual Properties, Autofill Columns.

3) In the Autofill Columns dialog box, select the Vertices tab.

4) On the Vertices tab, select "Frequency Count" from the drop-down list to the right of "Vertex Size."

5) Click the Autofill button.

The vertices in your graph pane should now be proportional in size to your Frequency Count values.

-- Tony
Mar 28, 2014 at 3:23 PM
Thank you! I will try this and let you know of the results.
Mar 31, 2014 at 8:49 PM
Edited Mar 31, 2014 at 8:54 PM

My dropdown didn't have "Frequency Count" as an option. Do you think it's a version issue?

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:29 PM
No, I don't think it's a version issue.

Did you add a "Frequency Count" column to the right edge of the Vertices worksheet? That was supposed to be step 1, but I don't see a column with that name in the image you posted.

If I understand your original question, you have the frequency counts. Therefore, you have to add them to the Vertices worksheet. Once you do that, your Frequency Count column will appear in the drop-down list, and NodeXL will size the vertices based on the values you entered in that column.

-- Tony