NodeXL with silverlight

Apr 14, 2009 at 7:26 PM
I am doing an academic project on information design. for which nodexl is appropriate tool for sub visualization.
As am creating the whole visualization web based, i need to put this data in silverlight.
Can somebody pls guide me how to take it forward from the excel data sheet which i have.

Mitushi Jain
Information Design Student
Apr 14, 2009 at 9:02 PM
Edited Apr 15, 2009 at 12:09 AM
Hello, Mitushi:

I'm not sure I understand your requirements.  Do you simply need to post a graph image to your Silverlight-based Web site?  If so, you can right-click the graph pane and select Copy Image to Clipboard or Save Image to File to create an image.

Or are you a programmer and you want to incorporate an interactive graph in your Silverlight application using the NodeXL class libraries (  That can't be done yet, because the top-level visualization layers in the class libraries are WPF-only and won't work in Silverlight.  (We've discussed a Silverlight implementation, but we don't have one yet.)

Or would generating static graph images on a Web server suffice?  The Microsoft.NodeXL.Visualization.Wpf.GraphDrawer and NodeXLVisual classes can be used for that, but users of your Web site would not be able to interact with the graph.

-- Tony
Apr 15, 2009 at 10:22 AM
Hello Tony,
Thanks for the reply! I am a information visualizer, not really a programmer.
i actually want to incorporate interactive graph in silverlight application and want the vertices to be dynamic. So that  my sql query can recognize those nodes. get connected with another layer of line linkages as per my whole visualiztion. Am not sure its clear. but i can, may be mail u the screenshot how i want it to be. and is it posible to do with tool, NodeXL?

Mitushi Jain
Apr 15, 2009 at 4:44 PM

No, that is not possible, because NodeXL isn't usable within Silverlight.  We hope to add a Silverlight version in the future but we do not have one now.  You can use the NodeXL class libraries only in .NET desktop and server applications.

-- Tony