Importing a Klout score to Node XL

Jan 26, 2014 at 12:55 PM
Hi,

I've imported a Twitter follower list to node XL and exported that into Gephi to see the data visually. What I'd like to be able to do is to also import the Klout (social influence) scores of the Twitter accounts in my list and import everything into Gephi so the users (nodes) with larger social influence scores will appear as bigger nodes compares to the rest.

How is it possible to achieve this with node XL?

Thanks,

Charlie
Coordinator
Jan 27, 2014 at 4:02 PM
Hello!

Thank you for the interest in NodeXL!

NodeXL does not have direct support for Klout data import.

However, you can add a column to the Vertices worksheet, call it "Klout Score" and enter a value in each row for that measure.

NodeXL will then be able to map Klout scores to any display attribute using "NodeXL>Visual Properties>Autofill Columns".

Regards,

Marc
Jan 27, 2014 at 9:56 PM
Hi Marc,

Thanks for this - really interesting!

I'll give this a go during the week and get back to you with any further questions I have.

Just checked out your profile - you seem into some fascinating stuff and I've signed up to your blog.

I'll make sure to check out your book too.

Thanks for your reply and I hope to learn more from you in the future.

Best wishes,

Charlie
Feb 15, 2014 at 10:23 PM
Hi Marc,

I've followed your instructions above to create my own column which I've populated with fake Klout scores to test it. In the Node XL graph preview, the graph looks good, in terms of it shows the interconnectivity of the Twitter network along with the Klout scores on the lines. What I'm trying to do is to export the data into Gephi so I can arrange the sizes of the nodes by the size of the Klout score, so users with larger Klout scores have larger node sizes and smaller scores, smaller nodes.

I've exported the data in Node XL with my Klout column into Gephi but it looks exactly the same as it would if I hadn't added my Klout column. Do you know how I get Gephi to read the Klout column and adjust the nodes by the size of the Klout score?

I'd really appreciate any help you can offer me to solve this problem.

I recently won an Amazon voucher for winning a competition at work and I'm going to buy your book with it, looking forward to it!

Best wishes,

Charlie
Jun 9, 2014 at 10:28 AM
Edited Jun 9, 2014 at 12:13 PM
Does anyone know how to solve this?:

"I've exported the data in Node XL with my Klout column into Gephi but it looks exactly the same as it would if I hadn't added my Klout column. Do you know how I get Gephi to read the Klout column and adjust the nodes by the size of the Klout score?"

Many thanks,

Charlie
Coordinator
Jun 9, 2014 at 7:15 PM
You can map the Klout score to the vertex size in NodeXL using the NodeXL>Autofill Columns>Vertices>Vertex Size dialog.

I am not sure why Gephi does not read the attribute you are exporting from NodeXL.

-
Marc