Can edges be labelled?

Mar 4, 2009 at 6:41 PM
Can edges in the graph be labelled from a column in the Edges sheet?
Mar 4, 2009 at 6:58 PM
No.  Currently, only vertices can be labeled.  However, we have edge labels on our feature request list, and I've just added your vote for that feature.

-- Tony
Mar 4, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Excellent, thank you. Great software.

Mar 4, 2009 at 7:13 PM
Add my vote, too, please. Also, I would like to vote for the feature that takes tie strength into account when drawing the graph.

> From: tcap479
>
> No.  Currently, only vertices can be labeled.  However, we have edge
> labels on our feature request list, and I've just added your vote for
> that feature.
>
> -- Tony
>
>
Mar 4, 2009 at 7:15 PM
Add my vote, too, please. Also, I would like to vote for the feature that takes tie strength into account when drawing the graph. Thanks. And I agree; excellent software!

>
> No.  Currently, only vertices can be labeled.  However, we have edge
> labels on our feature request list, and I've just added your vote for
> that feature.
>
> -- Tony
>
>
Mar 4, 2009 at 7:17 PM
Do you mean that you'd like a large tie strength to cause vertices to be closer to each other, and a small tie strength to space them further apart?

-- Tony
Mar 5, 2009 at 11:08 AM
Sorry for being unclear. I am referring to leobentsu's suggestion that the wider the tie, the closer to the center of the graph it is drawn (if I understand him right).

Peter

>
> Do you mean that you'd like a large tie strength to cause vertices to be
> closer to each other, and a small tie strength to space them further
> apart?
>
> -- Tony
>
>
Mar 5, 2009 at 5:04 PM

A related feature I’d like to see: if my input list is an unduplicated list of node pairs, then I’d like the node that has the highest count of edges to all other nodes to be the most central in the graph. (Maybe this feature currently exists and I missed it?)

Mar 5, 2009 at 5:27 PM
Edited Mar 5, 2009 at 5:31 PM
JFine:

Please see this discussion, "how to create a centre-periphery model":

http://nodexl.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=49171

If I understand your comments, the upcoming Polar Layout will do what you need to do.  In your case, you could use Calculate Graph Metrics to calculate vertex degree, then use Autofill Columns to fill the new Polar R coordinate column using the vertex degree as input.  Vertices with high degree will then have a small Polar R, which will place them closer to the center.

-- Tony
Mar 5, 2009 at 5:49 PM

Fantastic timing – I look forward to it, thank you.

Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2009 9:28 AM
To: John Fine
Subject: Re: Can edges be labelled? [NodeXL:49205]

JFine:

Please see this discussion, "how to create a centre-periphery model":

http://nodexl.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=49171

If I understand your comments, the upcoming Polar Layout will do what you need to do. In your case, you could use Calculate Graph Metrics to calculate vertex degree, then use Autofill Columns to fill the new Polar R coordinate column using the vertex degrees as input. Vertices with high degree will then have a small Polar R, which will place them closer to the center.

-- Tony

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Apr 14, 2009 at 1:57 PM
Edge Labels would be great for adding circuit ID's and Bandwidth, Hope this is ready soon. thanks
Apr 14, 2009 at 5:22 PM
Another vote registered for this feature.  Edge labels are included in the NodeXL redesign specification that our research team has created, although I can't say yet where it will fall in the implementation schedule.  (The spec includes many other useful features as well.)  I'll certainly post here when it's done.

Thanks,
     Tony
May 20, 2009 at 8:49 PM

Tony,

Any updates? Are you guys still working on this or did you scrap the request?

Thanks,

Gary

May 20, 2009 at 10:41 PM

Gary:

We definitely haven't scrapped the request.  There are several other features that we've had to put ahead of edge labels, but we realize they're important and they are still on the list.

Thanks for your patience.

-- Tony