how to create a centre-periphery model?

Mar 4, 2009 at 12:43 PM
hi there, i want to create a centre-periphery graph based on the width of the edges. the layout types don't include such an option and the options for graph metrics don't work too, cause every vertex has a connection with every possible other one - a dichotomised analysis of the edges is senseless in that way.
the width of the edges should generate some kind of gravitation putting vertices having edges with more width in the center and vertices having edges with less width in the periphery. is this possible? and how?
Mar 4, 2009 at 3:22 PM
It's interesting that you should ask that, because I just finished adding a new "polar layout."  This layout uses a polar-coordinate space that lets you specify the distance of each vertex from the graph center and the angle of the vertex from the horizontal axis.  There are two new columns in the Vertices worksheet -- Polar R and Polar Angle -- and they can be filled in manually or computed automatically using Autofill Columns.

I'm testing this new feature now, along with several other new features.  Please watch the Releases page for the release of the upcoming version

-- Tony
Mar 5, 2009 at 6:22 AM
Great Tony ... looking forward to that too!
Mar 5, 2009 at 12:51 PM
i admire your work, tony, and really don't want to bother you, but how long does it take for the next release? i need the new feature for scientific research..
Mar 5, 2009 at 4:18 PM
Edited Mar 5, 2009 at 4:30 PM
I'm glad you've found NodeXL to be useful.  Our team has put a lot of work into it.

The next release is feature-complete, meaning that all the new features are working.  However, there are some annoying bugs in other parts of the program that I want to try to fix in this release, and that's what I'm working on now.  I'm aiming to post the new release by Sunday, March 8.

-- Tony
Mar 8, 2009 at 8:05 PM

The release that includes the new polar layout is available now:

-- Tony
Mar 9, 2009 at 3:13 PM
the ploar layout woks great and my analysis too!
i thank you and your team very much.