Vertex color, shape using Autofill?

Feb 25, 2009 at 9:01 PM
Edited Feb 25, 2009 at 9:08 PM
Hi,

I am trying to alter the color of my vertices according to a column I have named "Group".  The values in this column are either a 1,2 or 3.  Using Autofill, values 1 and 2 are both red, while 3 is green.  Earlier I had values 1-4.  Then, 1 and 2 were red, while 3 and 4 where green.

A similar problem happens when I try to use Autofill to determine vertex shape according to the values in my column "Subgroup".  In that column the values range from 1 to 6.  Autofill fills in "sphere" for all values.

What could I be doing wrong?

(I downloaded the latest version of NodeXL today.) 

Peter
Feb 25, 2009 at 10:13 PM
Peter:

If the following doesn't answer your questions, please tell me what behavior you're expecting from AutoFill columns.  I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.

For colors, AutoFill Columns maps your source column (Group) to colors between red and green.  By default, it ignores outliers in the Group column, so your entire range of 1 to 4 won't get used.  For such a small set of source values you probably want to include all the values, so you need to click the Options button to the right of Vertex Color in the AutoFill Columns dialog box, then uncheck "ignore outliers."  Now 1 will get mapped to red, 4 will get mapped to green, and 2 and 4 will get mapped to shades in between.

For vertex shapes, you need to click the Options button to the right of Vertex Shape to specify how your Subgroup column values should get mapped to shapes.

-- Tony
Feb 26, 2009 at 12:07 AM
Edited Feb 26, 2009 at 12:23 AM
Tony,

Thank you.  I was correct in my assumption that I misunderstood how autofill works.  I thought that different colors were assigned to unique values, and that different shapes were assigned to unique values automatically.

The color works, now, but I haven't quite figured out the shapes.  I can manually set one shape.  Autofill fills in that shape for the single value I assign it to, but all the other shape cells for the remaining 5 values are set to blank.  So all I am getting are two shapes--the one I set and circles.  How do I get multiple shapes?  Do I have to put my own conditional formula in the shape cells?

Thanks.

Peter 
Feb 26, 2009 at 4:43 PM
Peter:

Yes, a conditional formula is probably your best bet.  Here, for example, is a formula that sets the shape based on the value in a new Number column.  If the value is 1, the shape gets set to a circle.  If the value is 2, the shape gets set to a disk.  If the value is 3, the shape gets set to a sphere.  Otherwise, the shape gets set to a square.

= IF(Vertices[[#This Row],[Numbers]]=1, 1, IF(Vertices[[#This Row],[Numbers]]=2, 2, IF(Vertices[[#This Row],[Numbers]]=3, 3, 4)))

-- Tony
Feb 26, 2009 at 6:29 PM
Bingo!  Thanks a lot, Tony.