Access to Historical Twitter Data?

Dec 2, 2013 at 3:54 PM
Hello, NodeXL Team: I am working with a faculty member who would like to access historical Twitter data with explicit start and end dates (during which a critical event occurred). She wants to use the information in a publication, which will possibly have implications on business practices...so the data has to be highly accurate, comprehensive, and insightful.

I think I've seen others define start and end dates in their graphs in the NodeXL Graph Gallery (unless they specified start-and-end dates from recent data extractions), but I'm not finding where to do this. Please point me in the right direction. Any help would be deeply appreciated. :)
Dec 2, 2013 at 5:30 PM
Hello, SHJ:

NodeXL's Import from Twitter Search Network feature, which is where many of the graphs on the NodeXL Graph Gallery came from, creates a graph from a set of tweets that match the search criteria you specify. Those criteria include a date range. The feature is available at NodeXL, Data, Import, From Twitter Search Network on the Excel ribbon.

It's important to note, however, that Twitter will only provide NodeXL with recent tweets, so this feature isn't suitable for accessing Twitter data older than about a week. See "number of tweets" at http://nodexl.codeplex.com/discussions/463615 for more information about this.

Historical Twitter data can be purchased from third-party resellers such as Gnip and DataSift. NodeXL cannot import data directly from those resellers, however.

-- Tony
Dec 2, 2013 at 6:16 PM
Hello, Tony: OOOH! Graph summary! I see where you mean now.

Also, I know there is a date range option after the data has been extracted in the graph pane in the dynamic filters...

Everything you wrote here makes sense to me now. Yes, I did see the third-party resellers in a general Google Search. I'll pass along this information.

Thank you for elaborating. :)