Different modes of operation?

Feb 13, 2009 at 2:48 PM
Hi,

I've noticed that NodeXL is well set up for data sets where the two nodes being connected are the same thing, like people linking with other people in a mailing list. But it's not so well adapted for data where the nodes are different, like people attending conferences. I've been playing around with data of this form and it's quite difficult to manipulate. I have to create two clusters, one of all the people, one of all the conferences, in order to differentiate them on the network map. The problems come when trying to use auto-fill or dynamic filtering - I only want to play around with the people, not the conferences.

Is this something that has been discussed previously? Any work-arounds or plans to integrate support in the future?

Cheers,
Simon
Coordinator
Feb 13, 2009 at 10:00 PM
Some of what you are interested can be worked around.  For example, add a column to the vertex sheet to hold the name of the node's "type" (i.e. "person", "conference").  Then a formula in the shape column can look at the node type to decide what shape to use.

Does that help?

Marc

Feb 16, 2009 at 2:34 PM
Hi Marc,
Thank you for the response. Yes this would get around some issues but it doesn't solve the biggest one - when I use autofill to, for example, set the node radius based on degree value, I only want to change the people nodes, not the conferences. To get around this at the moment, I have to use autofill, then switch it off, then manually change the conference radius values. but of course, when I want to change some things around I have to do the manual override again.
Is there anyway to control which vertices the autofill applies to? And similar for dynamic filtering - can you lock certain vertices in place so they don't disappear?
Cheers,
Simon

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 10:01 PM, marcsmith <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Some of what you are interested can be worked around. For example, add a column to the vertex sheet to hold the name of the node's "type" (i.e. "person", "conference"). Then a formula in the shape column can look at the node type to decide what shape to use.

Does that help?

Marc

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Coordinator
Feb 16, 2009 at 4:20 PM
Hello!

Thanks for the further detail: I will take up the feature request that I would call:

"Autofill columns applied to subsets of nodes and edges": Multiple "Auto-Fill Columns" dialog boxes can be created, each with a filter that limits its action to certain sets of nodes or edges.

And I agree that it is a common use scenario for managing multi-modal networks.

You second point I can grant immediately!  Each node has a "Locked" property that, if set to "1", will leave the node at the existing X/Y location no matter what layout routine is run.

The "locked" property can be set for any node or set of nodes through the right-click menu on the Graph canvass or manually in the spreadsheet.

I hope this addresses your second request.

Thanks for the feedback!  We will be discussing this request shortly as we plan the next set of releases!

Regards,

Marc (for Team NodeXL)

Feb 16, 2009 at 4:48 PM
Thanks, I appreciate your consideration.
One easy way to achieve this would be to add other attributes to the clusters sheet which override those on the vertices sheet. Although a subset autofill would be more flexible.
On the second point, it would be good if the 'lock' function could be expanded to lock other attributes, like radius, colour, visibility (so that it doesn't disappear when using dynamic filters). Can this be added as a feature as well?
Many thanks,
Simon

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 4:21 PM, marcsmith <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hello!

Thanks for the further detail: I will take up the feature request that I would call:

"Autofill columns applied to subsets of nodes and edges": Multiple "Auto-Fill Columns" dialog boxes can be created, each with a filter that limits its action to certain sets of nodes or edges.

And I agree that it is a common use scenario for managing multi-modal networks.

You second point I can grant immediately! Each node has a "Locked" property that, if set to "1", will leave the node at the existing X/Y location no matter what layout routine is run.

The "locked" property can be set for any node or set of nodes through the right-click menu on the Graph canvass or manually in the spreadsheet.

I hope this addresses your second request.

Thanks for the feedback! We will be discussing this request shortly as we plan the next set of releases!

Regards,

Marc (for Team NodeXL)

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NodeXL@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Coordinator
Feb 16, 2009 at 5:26 PM

Would I be correct if I summarized the feature request as:

All node and edge display attributes can be "Locked" to be immune from the effects of "Auto-fill columns".

-
Marc
Feb 17, 2009 at 8:23 AM
Any node and edge display attributes can be "Locked" to be immune from the effects of "Auto-fill columns".
(any rather than all because you may want to choose which ones are locked - a blanket lock across them all may not be the most useful function)
Also...
Selected nodes can be "Locked" in place to prevent being filtered out when using Dynamic Filtering.
Cheers,
Simon

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 5:26 PM, marcsmith <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Would I be correct if I summarized the feature request as:

All node and edge display attributes can be "Locked" to be immune from the effects of "Auto-fill columns".

-
Marc