reciprocated tie vs. replied to

Nov 13, 2013 at 5:43 PM
I have imported twitter data by NodeXL and I have two questions
  1. I notice that there is a column to classify whether the tie is "reciprocated" or not, and another column for "replied to" ties.
    What is the difference between these two?
    For me, I think every "replied to" tie should be reciprocated as well, but I see some "replied to" tie classified as not reciprocated.
    What is the difference between the two?
  2. I read from another thread that NodeXL can import one tweet per person. Is that so? I see multiple tweets from per person as well.
    What is the rule for NodeXL to import data from twitter?
    I notice that NodeXL cannot capture every tweet, but what is the general range of time frame and number of tweets, if I use the "import twitter data from twitter search network"?
Nov 14, 2013 at 1:17 AM
1) I believe you are referring to the Relationship and Reciprocated columns on the Edges worksheet.

Relationship is a Twitter concept. A Relationship value of "Replies to" means that the edge represents a tweet that was a reply to someone else. That has nothing to do with reciprocity, because John replying to Mary says nothing about whether Mary ever replied to John.

If an edge from Bill to Ralph has a "Reciprocated" value of "Yes", it means the graph also has an edge from Ralph to Bill. That's what reciprocity is about--an edge is reciprocated if there is another edge between the same vertices, but going in the opposite direction.

2) No, that is not so. Perhaps the thread you were reading was referring to another type of Twitter network (there are three), not the Search network. Please see "number of tweets" at http://nodexl.codeplex.com/discussions/463615 for information about the limits that Twitter imposes on NodeXL with respect to the tweets it will provide.

-- Tony