Importing multiple columns from Excel

Nov 12, 2013 at 9:12 PM
I'm having some difficulty figuring out how to import columns from an open Excel workbook.

I have 5 columns, let's say A, B, C, D, and E for simplicity. The vertices are related from left to right, so I want to display A-B connections, B-C connections, C-D connections and so on. I can't quite figure out how to perform the import - it seems that you can only import two columns related to each other at a time. So, do I do the import several times and just uncheck the box that erases all of the existing data?

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:30 AM

I don't understand the format of your workbook. What do the columns A, B, C, D and E represent, and what do the rows represent?

You are correct about how the Import from Open Workbook feature works. It requires two columns in the "import from" workbook--one that contains the first vertex in each edge, and another that contains the second vertex. A simple example of a workbook that you can import from is the following:

Column A, Column B
Ralph, Nancy
John, Robert
Robert, Paul

NodeXL will import these two columns into its Vertex 1 and Vertex 2 columns, resulting in a graph that has three edges and five vertices.

-- Tony
Nov 13, 2013 at 11:18 AM

The columns represent a phone chain order, and I'm trying to represent the relationships between the 140 people that are involved in the process.

Each row has five columns - representing the order by which that particular notification takes place. As an example:

Row A: Bob calls Sally, Sally calls Joe, Joe calls Bill, Bill calls Steve, Steve calls Mike. The is represented in columns A through E as Bob, Sally, Joe, Bill, Steve, Mike.

And so on for another 120 rows. Many of the rows have common individuals, though perhaps in different positions. Ideally I would want to represent these as a directed, sequential diagram, but it's more important to show graphically who the key/critical personnel are - those that are relied on at some point by many of these notifications. The sequential order is less important.

So with 5 columns, how do I import all of these various relationships?

Thanks for the quick reply.
Nov 14, 2013 at 5:15 AM
Edited Nov 14, 2013 at 5:16 AM

You cannot import that type of list directly into NodeXL. However, we have a few accessory programs that can reformat various lists into a standard edge list that can be imported. I believe yours can be handled with the program available at "How to Create an Edge List From a List of Items, Format 4", which you can find here:

-- Tony