Import from YouTube Video Network

Nov 6, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Hi there!
Thanks for this wonderful tool! I have a question concerning the import of Video Networks. Is it possible to include a network which contains all videos available on YouTube associated with a search term? It seems to me that NodeXL never imports more than 500 videos (it always stops crawling after "item 451"), no matter which term I try (also "america", "Germany" and so on, which lead to far more results on the original YouTube Page). Do you have a solution for me? I need to map a(n almost) whole videonetwork.
Thanks a lot!
Greetings from Germany,
Christian
Nov 6, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Hello, Christian:

Assuming that you've unchecked the "limit to" box in the Import from YouTube Video Network dialog box, it's actually YouTube that is cutting off the returned list at 500 videos. I looked at the YouTube documentation* and it says that the maximum number of videos that programs like NodeXL can get is 999. I'll have to look into why NodeXL is getting cut off at 500 instead of 999, but in any case it is not possible for NodeXL to get a complete list of videos from YouTube. So I'm afraid I don't have a solution for you.

-- Tony
Jan 17, 2014 at 3:53 PM
Edited Jan 17, 2014 at 5:07 PM
Hi,
I have another question concerning Videonetworks:
I would like to map videos that share the same tags/same user generated content in the descriptors. It is described in your book "Analyzing Social Media Networks with NodeXL" (p. 229). But in the current software version I only find the option: "add an edge for each pair of videos that share the same category". Are other descriptors still included with this command? Or is this option not available any more? In that case it would not be possible to calculate an edge weight (assuming that each video could only be matched to one category), right?
Thanks,
Nils
Jan 17, 2014 at 8:04 PM
Nils:

It sounds like you have an out-of-date version of NodeXL. The Import from YouTube Video Network dialog box in the latest version of NodeXL (1.0.1.251 as of today) has these three options:
  • Pair of videos that have the same category
  • Pair of videos commented on by the same user (slower)
  • Pair of videos responded to with another video by the same user (slower)
You can get the latest version of NodeXL here:

http://nodexl.codeplex.com/releases

-- Tony