number of tweets

Oct 25, 2013 at 10:06 PM
Edited Oct 25, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Hello. I have the following doubts in using NodeXL for collecting Tweets:

1) If I search for tweets from yesterday from a search term, can I be sure that the results correspond to all tweets with this term in that date?

2) If I search for tweets from a specific day, will the results be the same if the search is carried out one day after or three days after?

Oct 26, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Edited Oct 26, 2013 at 6:08 PM
Hello, Debora:

Your doubts are justified. Twitter does not guarantee that it is providing NodeXL with all tweets that match the search term, or that the tweets it provides on Monday will be the same tweets it provides on Tuesday. In fact, they explicitly state that the opposite is true:

"Please note that Twitter's search service and, by extension, the Search API is not meant to be an exhaustive source of Tweets. Not all Tweets will be indexed or made available via the search interface." (From )

"'s important to know that the Search API is focused on relevance and not completeness. This means that some Tweets and users may be missing from search results." (From )

"The Search API is not complete index of all Tweets, but instead an index of recent Tweets. At the moment that index includes between 6-9 days of Tweets." (From )

(The "Search API" is a Twitter service that NodeXL uses to get tweets from Twitter.)

-- Tony
Dec 9, 2013 at 5:10 PM
If your question is: "How many unique tweets are in a NodeXL workbook?" you could unique and count the Tweet ID column in the Edges worksheet.

-- Marc