about the Dividing rules

Sep 28, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Hi all,
I have a question about how does nodexl divided vertices into 3 groups.
(such as this http://www.nodexlgraphgallery.org/Pages/Graph.aspx?graphID=8676)
or like it..... http://www.nodexlgraphgallery.org/Pages/Graph.aspx?graphID=8663
(nodexl Divided vertices into 27 groups)
Can i find any formula about how does nodexl divided vertices.
THX all.
Coordinator
Sep 28, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Edited Sep 29, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Hello!

Those graph's vertices were grouped by cluster using the Clauset-Newman-Moore cluster algorithm.

NodeXL provides two additional methods for segmentation or clustering a network: Wakita and Tsurumi, and the Girvan Newman.

Network groups are created in the NodeXL>Analysis>Groups menu.

-- Marc
Sep 28, 2013 at 3:09 PM
Hi Marc,
I found the paper (http://arxiv.org/pdf/condmat/0408187.pdf) about how the group divided by your key words (Clauset-Newman-Moore cluster algorithm).
Thx a lot.
Sep 28, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Edited Sep 28, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Hi , all
I have the new questions .

How to make the curve more thick by some variables just like a weight.
For example , A , B and C are friends
If I can observe the number of their conversations a week.
(A and B are 5 times a week . A and C are 2 times a week . B and C are 3 times a week . )
How to show A is more familiar with B than C by thickening the curve between A and B.

By using the Clauset-Newman-Moore cluster algorithm, I can get 50 groups in my data.
If I want to hide or conser or filter some vertices with less betweenness centrality to reduce the groups, how can I do.

How to adjust the size of the label by the feature of vertex.
Just like A is male and B is female, I want the label of A is smaller than B to distinguish the differences in this graph.

THX all.
Coordinator
Sep 29, 2013 at 5:03 PM
Edited Sep 29, 2013 at 5:33 PM
Hello! Thank you for the interest in NodeXL.
  1. NodeXL can use any edge value to control edge weight. See NodeXL>Visual Properties>Autofill Columns>Edges>Edge Weight to select a data element that will drive the size of each edge. Note, the Options for Edge Width in the Autofill Columns dialog allows fine control over the way data is mapped to edge width. You can also manually adjust each edge's weight by editing the values in the Edges worksheet "Weight" column in the Visual Properties section. You may need to reveal these columns (they are hidden by default). To do so, select: NodeXL>Show/Hide>Workbook Columns>Visual Properties.
  2. To filter data in NodeXL, select the "Dynamic Filters" feature from the graph pane (the window in which the graph is displayed, which is labeled "Document Actions". Each Edge and Vertex data element is presented in the filter dialog. You can set a lower and upper limit and all edges or vertices that do not pass the filter are removed. Groups can be collapsed or completely removed using the Visibility column in the Groups worksheet. You can also right click a node and use the right click menu to select the group. With a selected node in a group, right-click and select Groups>Select Groups Containing Selected Vertices. You can then use the right-click menu to Edit selected group properties: right-click and select Groups>Collapse Selected Groups.
  3. Label size is controlled by selecting the Graph Options from the Graph pane (labeled "Document Actions"). Select Graph Options>Other>Font>Label Size: Labels in NodeXL are all of the same size and cannot be adjusted individually at this time. To distinguish between nodes with different attributes you can use size, color, or shape of the node, or add a piece of text to the label. The label itself, however, cannot have a different size than other nodes.
Regards, -- Marc