How to display vertex colour in grouped layouts

Sep 25, 2013 at 3:05 PM
Hi there

For a twitter search network I group by components. That works great and looks like this:

Twitter search about the helmet debate

But I want to display the nodes in the colour listed in a column of the vertex sheet. When I have a network with multiple disconnected components and I group by connected components I get the node colours reflecting the grouping and effectively overriding the colour info of the individual vertex.

I did not find a way how to keep the grouped layout (Layout options: "Layout each group in ins own box") and to display the nodes in the vertices' colour & shape.

Anyone knows how to do this???
Sep 25, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Try NodeXL > Analysis > Groups > Group Options >

Set the "What colors should be used for the groups' vertices?" to "The colors specified in the Vertex Color column on the Vertices worksheet."

Do the same for shape, if you'd like to set that attribute at the vertex rather than group level.

Thanks for the interest in NodeXL!

-- Marc
Sep 26, 2013 at 3:02 AM
Hi Marc
Try NodeXL > Analysis > Groups > Group Options >
Thanks for this! I should've found it myself...

One problems remains though: The olour of the label text has now change from black to the node colour - and I could see in the Graph Options or anywhere else how to change this back.
Thanks for the interest in NodeXL!
Interest in NodeXL? Excitement really!

Just wished it worked under Linux or Mac OSX, too...

Sep 26, 2013 at 3:23 AM
Thanks for the excitement about NodeXL!

Sadly, we have not yet implemented a separate control over the vertex text label. The text label will always take its color from the vertex or group color (whichever is dominant).

This feature is on our lengthy pending work item list, but it is not yet a high priority. We are happy to hear from users about what is most important to them, so let us know if this is a must have feature.

-- Marc