Distinguish between reciprocal and nonreciprocal twitter relationships

Jun 24, 2013 at 1:57 PM
I'm new to both social network analysis and NodeXL and would appreciate any help.
I'm working on a research project looking at twitter relationships between comedians. I made a twitter list of 100 comedians and imported the data into NodeXL. What I'm not sure how to do is make clear if the following relationships between two people on the list are one way or reciprocal. Can I use different color edges?

Jun 24, 2013 at 3:41 PM
Edited Jun 24, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Try this:
  1. In the Excel ribbon, go to NodeXL, Analysis, Graph Metrics.
  2. In the Graph Metrics dialog box, check only "Edge reciprocation" and click the Calculate Metrics button. That adds a "Reciprocated?" column to the Edges worksheet.
  3. In the first "Width" cell on the Edges worksheet, which is usually cell D3, enter this formula, which will cause reciprocated edges to be wider (Width=5) than unreciprocated edges (Width=1):
=IF(Edges[[#This Row],[Reciprocated?]]="Yes", 5, 1)

-- Tony
Jun 24, 2013 at 3:52 PM
Thanks so much! That is a great help. Your directions were very clear and helpful.
Jun 24, 2013 at 7:34 PM
It is also possible to control edge display attributes using the NodeXL>Graph>Autofill Columns>Edges>Edge Weight feature. The Reciprocated? attribute should be in the drop down list once it has been created by the Graph Metrics command.