overall matrics for each group, total number of ties for a node, nodal distance, and other questions

Jun 6, 2013 at 8:36 PM
Your response to these questions are very much appreciated (previous help from the coordinators were very helpful - thank you guys!). Here are my questions (hopefully I'm not mixing up terminology!):

(i) I've 142 vertices which are divided into 5 mutually exclusive groups (manually assigned; letting NodeXL do it didn't work out! :-)). How do I find the 'overall metrics' statistics for each group? When I hide 4 out of 5 and run the 'graph matrix,' the 'overall matrics' for ALL the vertices (i.e., full data set) remain unchanged, i.e., I don't get an 'overall metrics' info for the group I selected.

(ii) I've 190 non-unique edges (vertex 1-vertex 2), e.g., Red Cross-Hospital X; Red Cross-Hospital Y, and so on. Now, I'm trying to find how many ties (edges?) an actor (e.g., Red Cross) has in its network. How do I find that (statistic)?

(iii) Is there a statistic (or anything in NodeXL) that tells me how close (or far) an actor (node) is from another in the network? I'm trying to figure out a way to quantify AND identify those nodes that are in close proximity to each other in a network.

(iv) To find the importance of an actor in a network, I'm using its vertex size (as defined in autofill) - is this ok, or should I be using something else?

(v) Am I correct in understanding that 'graph density' ='network density?

Thank you!
Jun 7, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Thank you for your interest in NodeXL.

I will try to reply to each of your questions:

(i) You can find Group level statistics on the Groups worksheet. This worksheet contains the same data as the Overall Metrics worksheet but scoped to each group.

(ii) The number of edges each vertex has is recorded in the Vertices worksheet in the Degree column (directed networks have an "in-degree" and "out-degree" column instead).

(iii) The general distance from any node to ALL OTHERS is captured in the Closeness Centrality column found in the Vertices worksheet. NodeXL does not currently calculate a distance metric for each vertex pair.

(iv) "Importance" is a variable concept, but, yes, you can certainly map any vertex metric to its size (or color, etc).

(v) Yes.

Jun 7, 2013 at 2:08 AM
Edited Jun 7, 2013 at 2:08 AM
It is amazing that you and the rest of the core leaders take the time to answer each and every question posted (no matter how silly such questions may be, including probably few of my own!). So, for someone like me who just wants to use NodeXL to map the network and understand quantification of relationships in a network, this is fantastic! Thank you all very much! On a lighter side, if I ever meet you guys in-person, couple of rounds of cold ones on me - promise!
Best wishes,
ps: you answered all my questions - hope plan to address (iii) is on the pipeline.