Filter vertices based on edge filter

Apr 14, 2013 at 1:55 PM
I am very new with the tool, I am loving it so far, but I can't figure out how to do what I thought would be a fairly simple task.

I have filtered vertices based on Supervisor, a column in the vertices table. I now want to only see the edges associated with that list of vertices. What is the best way to do that?
Coordinator
Apr 14, 2013 at 2:13 PM
Edited Apr 14, 2013 at 2:13 PM
Hello!

Thanks for the interest in NodeXL.

I may need more information to address your question.

Which version are you using?

A recent update (v.236) changed the way NodeXL handles a vertex that no longer has a displayed edge connected to it.
 v.236 When you use dynamic filters (NodeXL, Analysis, Dynamic Filters), filtering an edge will automatically filter its adjacent vertices if the filtering causes those vertices to become isolates.
Did you filter using the "Dynamic Filters" feature?

Did you filter by an edge property to remove edges?

A brute force method is to control the visibility of edges directly from the edges worksheet's "Visibility" column.

Regards,
Marc
Apr 14, 2013 at 2:56 PM
Hi Marc,

Thanks for the quick response. I was running v.229 so I applied the upgrade.

I am not sure if v.236 helped me.

The .v236 update works via an Edge property. I am filtering on a Vertex property, a column that I added "Supervisor". In the Vertices spreadsheet, on Supervisor column, I unselect All, and select just one Supervisor. Now I have a subset of Vertices that are associated with that Supervisor.

The property that I am filtering on is in the Vertices sheet, not the Edge sheet, so it doesn't show up in Dynamic filters.

Hope this makes sense,
Melissa
Coordinator
Apr 14, 2013 at 3:12 PM
In order to filter edges by a property, we will need to add that property to the Edges worksheet.

That could be done with your existing workbook (I think) by using a VLOOKUP. We could add a column to the Edges worksheet that "looks up" the Supervisor listed for the Vertex1 value over on the Vertices worksheet.

Those "Supervisor" values would be best represented as integers, too. Today, the NodeXL Dynamic Filters feature works on numeric data, not categorical or textual data.

Did that help?

Marc
Apr 15, 2013 at 1:23 AM
Hi Marc,

It WORKED! Thanks. I ended up adding 2 columns in the Edge workbook, Supervisor_in and Supervisor_out then used the VLOOKUP to populate them.

Thanks for your help!

Melissa