Experience using NodeXl to map supply chain networks

Apr 5, 2013 at 6:26 AM
I am planning to use NodeXL to map supply chain networks. However, I cannot find any information on using NodeXL for this purpose. Does anyone has experience uising NodeXL to map supply chain networks or knowns where to find more information? Thank you in advance!
Apr 5, 2013 at 1:06 PM
Hello! Thanks for the interest in NodeXL!

I am not familiar with any supply chain network analysis in NodeXL. Perhaps some of our users may know of other work?

NodeXL can certainly represent a collection of related entities but I wonder if you require propagation related features that we may not have.

Feel free to write back describing any features that are missing, it is sometimes possible to release features that meet specific needs.

Jun 25, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Edited Jun 25, 2013 at 3:59 PM
I believe egerrevi is trying to use NodeXL as a visualisation tool to map out and maybe analyse the supply chain.

Myself I am trying to map out all the different items for a massive system that involves multiples servers, multiple applications being installed, different functions, different background service, scripts running on diff machines, etc. Its more like trying to create a map of the complicated relationship of all the elements in the system.

How is it going for me? I am still trying to figure out how to use NodeXL :)

Some questions i have in mind currently are:-
1- how to run the graphs screen in a larger screen or fullscreen?
2- is there a way to lock the position of the vertices on the graph ? (manual layout instead of algorithm?)

My recommendation for egerrevi is to start with the objects and their relationship.
eg. supplier A - 90 day term, supplier B - 90 day term, supplier C - 60 day term, supplier A - Fedex

Got to have data first before you can have the chart.
Jun 25, 2013 at 6:56 PM
  1. You can drag the graph pane out of the Excel window, which will allow you to almost maximize the graph to full screen. I say "almost" because the graph pane doesn't have a standard maximize button, so you have to manually drag the window borders. Note that dragging the graph pane back into the Excel window is a finicky operation and often takes multiple tries. (Excel--not NodeXL--is to blame for that.)
  2. One way to prevent the Refresh Graph button from moving your vertices is to set NodeXL, Graph, Layout to "None."
-- Tony
Jun 26, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Thanks a bunch Tony.
Jun 27, 2013 at 3:24 AM
So far from my attempts with the graph pane, the fastest way to bring the pane back into Excel is to double-click the Document Actions title area. that will send it back excel immediately.
Jun 27, 2013 at 5:04 AM
Edited Jun 27, 2013 at 5:30 AM
Well, I'll be darned! I've been using the program for years and I never knew that. Thank you!

-- Tony