Support for SVG?

Jan 9, 2009 at 10:25 PM
Edited Jan 9, 2009 at 10:27 PM
I'm the coordinator of a patterns and pattern languages for social change project. (Apropos of nothing, MIT Press just published our book.)

Some interesting analysis has been done on the links in the pattern language and I'd like to present the graphics in a more useful way. At the minimum this means being able to zoom in and out of the images. (Ideally I'd also like to move the nodes, but I think that's a bigger deal.) My feeling is that SVG would be a good way to do this. There are probably other ways to do this but I think this way would be pretty reasonable. What do people think?

Jan 9, 2009 at 11:58 PM
Edited Jan 10, 2009 at 8:33 PM

On the zoom issue, I'm currently converting the GDI+ based NodeXL visualization layer to Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF).  (I'm the NodeXL programmer.)  Among other things, WPF will allow us to add the zoom feature that you and many others have requested.

You can move the nodes today by dragging them with the mouse, and then lock them in place by right-clicking in the graph, selecting Edit Selected Vertex Attributes, and setting Locked to Yes (1).  If I misunderstood that part of your post, please let me know.

An SVG layer could be implemented on top of NodeXL's underlying graph code, if someone wanted to do this.  It's outside the scope of the NodeXL team at Microsoft Research, however.

-- Tony
Jan 13, 2009 at 3:17 AM
Thanks Tony for the feedback on my SVG request.

Is there another way that NodeXL graphs can be made available via the web to the larger community?  (My sense is that the graphs that functionality you mentioned can only be employed within the MS environment.)

-- Doug
Jan 13, 2009 at 6:53 PM

A programmer using the NodeXL Class Libraries could create a Web application containing NodeXL graphs, but those graphs would not be interactive -- they would be static images.  To get interactivity, you have to either 1) use the NodeXL Excel 2007 template; 2) use the NodeXL desktop application that comes with the NodeXL source code; or 3) create a custom desktop application using the NodeXL Class Libraries.

-- Tony