Layout - Problems

Feb 3, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Edited Feb 3, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Dear all,

I have some problems to declutter my graphs. After filtering edge weight, I would like to drop the isolated vertices to the bottom of the pane. I believe it was called "Binned" layout but I am searching and searching and do not find it. Can anybody help, please? Or does anybody know another solution to drop isolates?

Thanks so much!

Nils
Coordinator
Feb 3, 2013 at 4:49 PM
Edited Feb 3, 2013 at 4:51 PM
Hello!

Thanks for the interest in NodeXL!

"Binning" can be applied to "isolate" vertices by selecting the option in Layout Options which is found in the Layout dropdown menu of the Graph Pane.

However, when you filter edges from the display pane using the "Dynamic Filters" they are removed from visibility but remain present in the data model. As a result, the vertices "think" they have edges and are thus not "isolates".

To move the isolate vertices to a box of their own the vertex must have no edges that are set to "Show" or "Hide" (any edges for a vertex can be retained in the dataset but not displayed or included in calculations by setting the Edge Visibility to "SKIP").

Regards,

Marc
Feb 3, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Thanks for this fast reply, Marc and thanks for this wonderful tool.
What is the exact order for "binning"? I do not find a button or an option called "binning" in the layout menue.
Perhaps I am unable to see the wood for the trees at the moment...
Thanks!
Nils
Feb 3, 2013 at 5:08 PM
I have also your book on my desk "Analyzing Social Media Networks with NodeXL". Perhaps you have a page for me with an exact description! Thanks, cheers, Nils
Coordinator
Feb 3, 2013 at 6:49 PM
Hello!

The "binning" is controlled from the Graph Pane> LayoutMenu>Layout Options dialog.

Select: "Lay out each of the graph's groups in its own box and sort the boxes by group size."

Select: "Use the Grid layout for groups that don't have many edges".

The order in which vertices are drawn is set by the "Layout Order" attribute in the Vertices worksheet. These columns are hidden by default. To display them select NodeXL>Show/Hide>Workbook Columns>Layout". Alternatively, you can set the Layout Order in the "NodeXL>Visual Properties>AutoFill Columns>Vertices>Vertex Layout Order" dialog.

Regards,

Marc